AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i used PVAStrumento to scan my Fiesta Bowl high qual RTV MPEG and got the following:

*** PVAStrumento 2.0.26

*** running at 04-14-2003 21:07

Stream info for

S:\\MPEGTools\\College Football - Tostitos Fiesta Bowl- Miami vs. Ohio State.mpg

VIDEO: Resolution 720 x 480

Aspect ratio is 4:3

Frame rate 29.97 fps

Nominal bitrate 6000000 bps

first PTS: 00:00:00.259

AUDIO: MPEG-1, Layer 2

48.0 kHz, Stereo

Bitrate 224 kbps

Frame Length 24.0 ms (672 bytes)

first PTS: 00:00:00.200

Audio starts 59 ms early

(->video delay on muxing)

==SCANNING==

Syncing: Cutting audio.

ALERT> Temporal structure wrong in GOP - dropping

Done.

Video bitrate: max 16419 , avg 5631 kbps

Video: 519085 pics 04:48:40.153

Audio: 721668 frames 04:48:40.032

(Autosaving log to S:\\MPEGTools\\College Football - Tostitos Fiesta Bowl- Miami vs. Ohio State.mpg.txt)

my problem is, if i run the file thru Womble's GOP fixer, the audio gets way outta sync towards the end (ie, progressively worse).....if i don't run it thru the fixer and simply cut it in half, the MPEG plays fine - if i then run each part thru the GOP fixer after i split it, Womble doesn't find any errors.

the main reason i want to fix this is b/c the pre-release of DVD-lab is choking on the MPEG if i use the "split" one that's not run thru the fixer. i wanted to use the MPEGTools to try and correct the 16419 max bitrate prob (which is where i think DVD-lab is dying), but i'm a little confused on how to use the "cutlist.txt" w/ the command line tools. also, would any of the MPEGTools actually fix my problem?

thanks for the help...sturmie

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sorry, mpegtools probably can't help you out. Right now, the only solution for burning high quality files consistently is reencoding. One of my "projects" (where "projects" means something I've thought about, but not done anything with) is to write a program that'll reencode only the out-of-spec GOPs. Unfortunately, that's a reasonably hard problem and I've not figured out how to make a MPEG file out of a single GOP (granted, I've not tried very hard).

As for remove-gops, I'm rewriting that and fix-time on last time, but this time in Java to get rid of the cross-platform issues. The side benefit of Java is it'll be a lot easier to strap on a GUI for using remove-gops. If you want to give the current version a try, the cutlist file is a list of ranges you want it to remove from the file. It can either be GOP numbers or timecodes (HH:MM:SS or MM:SS). Just put in a list of ranges (45:40-56:60, 324-550, etc) in a file, one per line, then run that through remove-gops with:

remove-gops -i input.mpg -o output.mpg -g cutlist.txt

and theoretically you should be all set.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but u don't think the "remove-gops" would help tho? what program do u recommend to re-encode high quality RTV mpegs into files that most DVD authoring apps will accept? i've used Womble to "fix"/re-encode it, but, like i said, the audio is way off :(.

thanks...sturmie

·
Registered
228 Posts
Have you tried DVD Movie Factory 2 from ULEAD? They have a free trial on their website... it is very forgiving in the files it takes in and will re-encode the video (unfortunately, the whole video) ...

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JohhnyReplay...yes, i have...it's nice, but entirely too simple when compared w/ DVD-lab....worse comes to worst, i'll just use DMF until DVD-lab fixes the RTV mpeg problem, but DVD-lab is just soooo cool :)...so feature rich and very easy to use.

sturmie

·
Registered
228 Posts
I know exactly what you mean... so far though, DMF2 has been the cheapest and most functional way to get difficult mpegs to dvd... though I have just started using mpeg2 cut to edit out commercials , dvd patcher to patch the headers and had some luck getting DVDLab to take the files... at the very least it let me chop the shows into little bits... if I had a really bad unfixable section, i could even take that few seconds out if I had to....

·
Registered
142 Posts
I noticed that DVDMF2 does re-encode my high q files. But it doesn't quite 'fix' them. After re-encoding, TMPGEnc tries to open them, but after about 30 seconds fails. The original files were spat out without hesitation. Does anyone know which errors DVDMF2 leaves in the converted files?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.