AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some blu rays that I have backed on my computer and I was trying different settings in handbrake and wanted to see how they effected the picture. One of the files was 19gb and after using handbrake I got it down to 5.5gb. When I played the file back with VLC 1.0.5 there where times when I could see some macroblocking, which is what I expected. I was curios to see if maybe playing the file back in a different app would effect the image quality, so I opened it up with Mplayer rev.13 and I didn't seem to notice the macroblocking. So I did a screen grab and opened up the images in photoshop. When I did that I noticed that the image from VLC showed alot more noise. I have not changed the preferences for either application, is there a reason why Mplayer has less noise?

I have attached two screen grabs. The first is from VLC the second from Mplayer.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
VLC has more noise because it shows more fine detail. For example the venetian blinds are more visible in the VLC image.

I've barely used VLC and have never used Mplayer. But there must be settings (perhaps in advanced menus) that control this, for both players. Since you're viewing the same file, the difference is probably in default settings.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts