AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A Toast,

I’d like to start this thread off by extending my many thanks to everyone whom has guided me along my journey to creating my first “real” hybrid-HT. I’ve gained a lot of knowledge and insight from the many articles I’ve read and individuals I’ve had the pleasure of conversing with. I hope to continue to learn as much as possible about the art of HT and grow wiser within the AVS and HT community. I couldn’t have done it without you all.

Cheers everyone! If you’re ever in Tallahassee, hit me up and I’ll buy you a proper round.

~The Thunderdome~

Budget:

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As a side note, this is a WIP (work in progress). I still have quite a few pictures to upload to Photo Bucket so I can share them, and I will be updating my main post from time-to-time with new content.

Please feel free to throw out ideas if content could be arranged differently to make the read better.

Enjoy...

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Congratulations, look forward to seeing the pictures.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Awesome! I've really been looking forward to your thread, and I can't wait to see the pictures of the screen in action - both in the dark and with light.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congratulations, look forward to seeing the pictures.
Awesome! I've really been looking forward to your thread, and I can't wait to see the pictures of the screen in action - both in the dark and with light.

Thanks,

Dave
Thanks! I finally got most of the pictures uploaded. I'll be uploading the ones with lights on another night. I gotta get some rest to prepare for this 3-day weekend.

If you want to see any specific pictures, just let me know and I'll snap and upload them.

Happy 4th Everyone!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Thanks! I finally got most of the pictures uploaded. I'll be uploading the ones with lights on another night. I gotta get some rest to prepare for this 3-day weekend.

If you want to see any specific pictures, just let me know and I'll snap and upload them.

Happy 4th Everyone!
Great pictures so far! Once you have the pictures of the screen images with the lights on, I'll let you know if there's any other specific pictures I'd like to see. Have a great weekend!

Dave

·
Registered
77 Posts
Congratulations on a really beautiful room. Everything looks pristine and I especially like the color-matched fixture/plug covers on the screen wall. You have alot of equipment that I have researched and/or hope to upgrade to in the future.

Would you mind if I asked a few questions about your setup?

• Are you satisfied with the quality of the Supernova given the price?
  • Did you get samples of the the 08-85 and 23-23 screen materials? Why did you decide to go with the 23-23?
  • Are you happy with the sound quality from the Sony 1040? Also, does the WiFi work as advertised?
  • Do you feel like the Darby component of the Oppo provides a substantial enhancement in your setup? I would really like to get the 103D, but they're expensive and I don't have anywhere local to preview it.
Thanks for sharing your room!

·
Registered
534 Posts
great room!

Hatcher,
great job! This came together perfectly.

Any reviews of 3D on your screen? I'm getting a RS4910 and would like to get a screen like yours.

I would also like to know your opinion on the Oppo and the Darbee once you get it.
I plan on using a blu ray player, apple tv(for airplay iMac), directv genie. And would like an opinion if the Oppo and/or Darbee is worth the expense given the upscaling already built into the JVC. Thanks!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an FYI Mr. Hatcher. Click the link below for "Light Dims". It's a nice product that is easy to stick on and remove for dimming or blacking out LED's on equipment. It's a little nicer looking than black tape.

http://www.lightdims.com/
Thanks for the intel. I may have to try these out. I purchased some 3M 5% removable window tint so I could cut strips out to put over the LED lights on my stove, microwave, etc... It's crazy how those lights can affect the overall experience. I need to hurry up and get my curtain system installed, that will help tremendously, especially during the day.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Congratulations on a really beautiful room. Everything looks pristine and I especially like the color-matched fixture/plug covers on the screen wall. You have alot of equipment that I have researched and/or hope to upgrade to in the future.

Would you mind if I asked a few questions about your setup?

• Are you satisfied with the quality of the Supernova given the price?
  • Did you get samples of the the 08-85 and 23-23 screen materials? Why did you decide to go with the 23-23?
  • Are you happy with the sound quality from the Sony 1040? Also, does the WiFi work as advertised?
  • Do you feel like the Darby component of the Oppo provides a substantial enhancement in your setup? I would really like to get the 103D, but they're expensive and I don't have anywhere local to preview it.
Thanks for sharing your room!
Thanks, I really appreciate it! It's taken a lot of research and time to get my theater to this point, and I still have a few things left to do, but that's the thrill of it. I still do lots of research and try to find "affordable" ways to make it better. Unfortunately, better performing components than what I currently have are quite a bit more expensive. I've found that sweet spot between price and performance and the law of diminishing returns means I have to spend a lot more money for a small increase in performance.

To answer your questions:
1. I'm really happy with the Supernova 23-23 material. It's pretty bright and has really excellent viewing angles, all while maintaining better black levels and contrast than a white screen under ambient light. It's expensive no doubt, but after many months comparing samples, I decided dnp had the most pros and the least amount of cons that I needed for my viewing environment.
2. I did get samples of the 08-85 & 23-23 materials. If you had a brighter projector, then the 08-85 would hold up even better under ambient light. But for a 120" screen, you would need a really bright projector to light it up, especially if you had ambient light in the room. If you had the Sony VW1100, then you might be good at 120" with a little bit of ambient light in the room, but I would want 3500+ lumens for viewing with ambient light. For comparison, the extra gain of the 23-23 material allows me to run the iris on my X700 at -11 and still get plenty brightness (in a total dark room), and I can raise the iris setting as the lamp ages. In the daytime I use a brighter mode. So for my budget this was the best configuration. If the Epson 6030 calibrated brighter it would work well, but it doesn't so that ruled out that projector. The only projectors I would pair with a 120" 08-85 screen would be the Sony VW1100 or a SIM2 Superlumis, both of which cost more than my entire HT.
3. I have used Harmon Kardon, Marantz, and Sony receivers. I just prefer the sound from Sony. It's warm and dynamic. The Sony STR-DN1050 is out now and offers a few key improvements, albeit a couple less HDMI inputs. Sony has the best GUI on these as well which makes it really nice and easy to navigate through the menu system. I haven't used Wi-Fi on it, only Bluetooth to stream music from mobile devices when we have friends over that want to play some jams from their phone. My wireless router is inside my A/V cabinet so everything is connected via Ethernet.
4. I wouldn't go so far as to say "substantial" but if you're not planning on going 4K anytime soon then definitely get the 103D as it does make the image more 3-dimensional (more depth and contrast). I really like it, some don't. Good thing is, Oppo holds it's value well so if you decide to sell it then you can get good ROI. $150 over the standard 103 is a small price to pay for a solid PQ enhancer, IMO.

Hopefully that answers your questions and can help you make a few decisions. Good luck!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hatcher,
great job! This came together perfectly.

Any reviews of 3D on your screen? I'm getting a RS4910 and would like to get a screen like yours.

I would also like to know your opinion on the Oppo and the Darbee once you get it.
I plan on using a blu ray player, apple tv(for airplay iMac), directv genie. And would like an opinion if the Oppo and/or Darbee is worth the expense given the upscaling already built into the JVC. Thanks!
Thanks for the compliment!

One of my friends has a JVC RS50 and just got the Optoma BG-ZF2100GLS Active Shutter 3D-RF Glasses & Optoma BG-BC100B 3D-RF Emitter. He's going to let me borrow his to try them out on my projector to see if I might be interested in buying a set. I honestly hate wearing 3D glasses though because I have to wear glasses for watching movies already. So wearing two pair of glasses at the same time is kind of annoying to say the least. From my research, I've read that 3D is pretty solid on these new JVCs so I'm going to give it a try to see if I can be persuaded to like it.

I already own the Oppo 103D with built-in Darbee. It makes the image look a bit more 3-dimensional (more depth and contrast). I enjoy using it in moderation. It's one of those settings you just have to try out for yourself though. Some people like it, some don't. For $150, I think it's a worthy investment. I haven't received the Darbee 5100CIE yet, but I supported them on Indiegogo so I should be one of the first to receive my unit, then I can give all of my video content the Darbee treatment. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks, I really appreciate it! It's taken a lot of research and time to get my theater to this point, and I still have a few things left to do, but that's the thrill of it. I still do lots of research and try to find "affordable" ways to make it better. Unfortunately, better performing components than what I currently have are quite a bit more expensive. I've found that sweet spot between price and performance and the law of diminishing returns means I have to spend a lot more money for a small increase in performance.

To answer your questions:
1. I'm really happy with the Supernova 23-23 material. It's pretty bright and has really excellent viewing angles, all while maintaining better black levels and contrast than a white screen under ambient light. It's expensive no doubt, but after many months comparing samples, I decided dnp had the most pros and the least amount of cons that I needed for my viewing environment.
2. I did get samples of the 08-85 & 23-23 materials. If you had a brighter projector, then the 08-85 would hold up even better under ambient light. But for a 120" screen, you would need a really bright projector to light it up, especially if you had ambient light in the room. If you had the Sony VW1100, then you might be good at 120" with a little bit of ambient light in the room, but I would want 3500+ lumens for viewing with ambient light. For comparison, the extra gain of the 23-23 material allows me to run the iris on my X700 at -11 and still get a plenty brightness (in a total dark room), and I can raise the iris setting as the lamp ages. In the daytime I use a brighter mode. So for my budget this was the best configuration. If the Epson 6030 calibrated brighter it would work well, but it doesn't so that ruled out that projector. The only projectors I would pair with a 120" 08-85 screen would be the Sony VW1100 or a SIM2 Superlumis, both of which cost more than my entire HT.
3. I have used Harmon Kardon, Marantz, and Sony receivers. I just prefer the sound from Sony. It's warm and dynamic. The Sony STR-DN1050 is out now and offers a few key improvements, albeit a couple less HDMI inputs. Sony has the best GUI on these as well which makes it really nice and easy to navigate through the menu system. I haven't used Wi-Fi on it, only Bluetooth to stream music from mobile devices when we have friends over that want to play some jams from their phone. My wireless router is inside my A/V cabinet so everything is connected via Ethernet.
4. I wouldn't go so far as to say "substantial" but if you're not planning on going 4K anytime soon then definitely get the 103D as it does make the image more 3-dimensional (more depth and contrast). I really like it, some don't. Good thing is, Oppo holds it's value well so if you decide to sell it then you can get good ROI. $150 over the standard 103 is a small price to pay for a solid PQ enhancer, IMO.

Hopefully that answers your questions and can help you make a few decisions. Good luck!
This does help, and thanks for taking the time to answer.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts