AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after having spent so much time trying to make up my mind that I could have just worked a little extra and bought both, I finally picked the Hughes over the Panasonic to go with my Mitsubishi.

IF the Panasonic did not have the problems, it would be hands down the winner over the Hughes for my pick. However, here are the factors that finally helped me to decide.

1. The Pan is being phased out while the Hughes not only has several sister receivers using the same design, but from what I've read, Sony is to adopt the same design. To me, it would seem that the Hughes would have more continued support.

2. The Pan is supposed to have a slighter better tuner for OTA, but withought a signal indicator, I don't think that I'd be able to take advantage of the marginally better ability to lock onto a station. On the other hand, with the Hughes, I should be able to determine best antenna locations and direction to a better degree than with the Pan, thus overcoming the Pan's reported better ability.

3. I like the idea of the native display rate for the Panasonic, but anything other than true 1080 and I'm going to want to be able to use my stretch mode on my TV. Since my Mitsu doesn't display a native 720, the only thing I might be missing out on with the Hughes would be 480p. The simple solution to that is to just input it with a SVHS cable and let my TV upconvert it to 480p. My TV has plenty of inputs, so for HD, I'll use component and for SD, I'll continue to use SVHS. Some button pushing, yes, but at worst case, I guess I could just buy a Pronto remote and set it up to super-simplelize all the button pushing needed.

4. My daughter, wife and well okay, myself as well are all channel surfers. The reportedly slow changing of the Pan would not be very practicle for us while the ultra fast changing would come in handy.

5. The integrated guide will come in handy for combining all channels together and simplify it for all members of the house.

Thanks to all who have spent their time in helping me weigh the pros and cons of each system.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, for anyone interested, I guess I should have mentioned my cost.

Hughes E-86 (no tax, shipping free) $499

Wineguard Oval Dish and 2- dual LNBs $ 0 (DTV Customer Retention Dept)

Sat-C kit for Showtime HD ($8 shipping cost + $12 for 1 month of SHO) $20

Rebate from DTV Retention dept. to maintain my $31 account for 1 year. -$100

Final cost for Hughes E-86 and oval dish with all the fixin's, $420 (plus, I get one month of all Showtime channels before I cancel it next month :) )

·
Registered
242 Posts
Bash, hope the Hughes works out for you. But, please note the recent threads (2 of them) about the Hughes running hot. The Hughes and Toshiba are the same, with some cosmetic changes. I can't speak for the Hughes, but my Toshiba runs a little warm, not hot!!. I can only recommended you give the area around the Hughes alot of room to disipate the heat. Good luck.

PS:I still think you should have gotten the Toshiba, for $449. but hey you will like the Hughes! I hope!!!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PTS
Bash, hope the Hughes works out for you. But, please note the recent threads (2 of them) about the Hughes running hot. The Hughes and Toshiba are the same, with some cosmetic changes. I can't speak for the Hughes, but my Toshiba runs a little warm, not hot!!. I can only recommended you give the area around the Hughes alot of room to disipate the heat. Good luck.

PS:I still think you should have gotten the Toshiba, for $449. but hey you will like the Hughes! I hope!!!
They are all the same box with a slightly different cosmetic looks. Hot is a relative term, I don't consider my Hughes that hot either. The Tosh, Mits, Phillips, Hughes box all use passive cooling (no fans thus no noise, Yeah!!!) so it will feel warm where the convection currents move the hot air. You should be equally as happy with any of the 4, except it sounds like they disabled the black bars in the Mits version in this latest software release, as a digital projector users this would really suck for me, I am glad I have the Hughes.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll be putting the unit in a Sanus Euro rack which is an open air design, so it should have plenty of ventilation. The only other components in the rack that could add heat are my Yamaha RXV-1000 and the Samson amp powering my SVS sub. In the open air, even when pushed pretty hard, the Yamaha only slightly warms up and the Samson stays as cool as a cucumber (sp? okay, pre-pickle). Hopefully the Hughes will follow their lead.

On a side note, Abt Electronics sent me out an e-mail saying that they could not ship out before the received the DTV agreement saying that I will remain a customer for a year. I called back a little disappointed because I had faxed that to them this morning and was assured that they would ship out today. The customer service rep did some calling and found out that I was correct and was not sure why they did not ship out. For the confusion and failing to ship as promised, she said that Abt would ship out next day air so that my arrival date would remain the same. In my opinion, a person couldn't ask for more. Everyone at Abt was great to talk with and answered all of my questions, so I have to recommend them if you are planning to go with the Hughes receiver.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.