AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up this release by Warner, and I was surprisingly pleased by its presentation. A great film-like presentation.

Somewhat shockingly this is a BD-50 with AVC-encoding using 40Gb for its main feature. Seems like Warner is finally taking a cautious step into the right direction.

The film, despite some flaws, is also one of the more interesting and original in recent years. Challenging and visually stunning, I'd easily place it above other 'sci-fi mashups' like Inception. There's supposed to be a Canadian release in January, but I'm not really sure if the quality will be equal to this release.

As far as I know right now, this was released by Warner only in Holland, Belgium and Spain. Region-free and no forced subtitles like the French version.

Some screenshots, more here :

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

·
Registered
433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsRoz /forum/post/19628547

Somewhat shockingly this is a BD-50 with AVC-encoding using 40Gb for its main feature. Seems like Warner is finally taking a cautious step into the right direction.

Warner has been using AVC in The Netherlands and France since the beginning for titles they own locally. For instance, almost 2 1/2 years ago I bought the Dutch version of P.S. I Love You ( review ) by Warner and that was already in AVC on a BD-50. They also respect the theatrical ratio of 1.85:1 while in the US they expand it to 1.78:1. The Dutch version of Hurt Locker ( review ) got the same treatment this year. Some of their European titles are even region coded. So it's pretty clear to me that Warner's European policy is completely separate from their US/International one.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojos /forum/post/19630440

Warner has been using AVC in The Netherlands and France since the beginning for titles they own locally. For instance, almost 2 1/2 years ago I bought the Dutch version of P.S. I Love You ( review ) by Warner and that was already in AVC on a BD-50. They also respect the theatrical ratio of 1.85:1 while in the US they expand it to 1.78:1. The Dutch version of Hurt Locker ( review ) got the same treatment this year. Some of their European titles are even region coded. So it's pretty clear to me that Warner's European policy is completely separate from their US/International one.

Definitely, but they have also started releasing AVC in the US now. 'Flipped' being the most recent title.

It strange though, at least 85% (just guessing) of their international releases seem to be straight ports of the US-versions.

·
Registered
433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsRoz /forum/post/19630478

Definitely, but they have also started releasing AVC in the US now.

Interesting. I didn't know that. If they could also stop bit-starving titles for no reason that would be great. Mr Nobody here seems to be a good example of how to treat a release with care.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts