Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mr. Wiggles,

As you warned forum members both on the forum and at Infocomm, keep tight lipped about Who and Where you are and the A/V gear in your home. Baaaad people are everywhere and my home had uninvited visitors today. Few items were taken but I fear the 'joints been cased'. It appears this was a random visit but it reinforces your warning.

Be careful who you confide in!

Hammerman

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Les,

Sorry if my post led members to believe there are e-hoodlums on the forum. That was not my point. My quotes; "It appears this was a random visit". "Baaaad people are everywhere". So be careful what you say everywhere, not just on the forum. Don't increase the chances of becoming another statistic. I am cautious about all my personal info as should everyone be about their's.

Hammerman

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
More likely someone local who knew you had it.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agree that the chance of having an AVS user who is not honest exist, but I think in most cases, people in you area probably knows if you have something worth taking or not. A good alarm system as suggested seems to be the only alternative. I do not think that by posting here what you have at home increase your chance of being visited ! In any case, your problem is universal ....

·
Registered
842 Posts
Monitored alarm system by a REPUTABLE firm absolutely

necessary. And the $300 extra for the cellphone like

radio also required.

I was using a budget ($266 per year) reporting service.

They went out of business 6 months ago. Never told

anyone. Kept taking my money. Now i have ADT ($321 per

year)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Man that Sucks!!

In case any BAAAAD people are reading this, I have a concealed weapon permit. I pack heat and I WILL use it http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Also, my neighbors are very watchful an since I live in rural Georgia, they all have shotguns.

------------------

Mark A. Torre

NEC XG-8"CRT PJ, HTPC, HDTV and loving it! The Torre Home Theater

[This message has been edited by Torre (edited 06-22-2001).]

·
Registered
287 Posts
Around my neighborhood, everyone thinks I'm too cheap to spring for cable because of the huge antenna on the roof!

CRT owners have some comfort because robbers would need to be numerous, strong or toting a lift to remove their ceiling mounted projectors.

I insure everything through my homeowners policy for replacement value.(USAA) If anything should disappear, well then, I'd be forced to buy new stuff.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Hammerman. I don't mean to downplay your visit. I'd probably be more upset about the act than the loss.

Jeff

·
Registered
16,014 Posts

In case any of these low lifes are reading this here's a

word of advice to you. If you're going to get my Barco

CRT projector you better be in shape. Better still you

best bring a forklift. And don't ask me to help. I've

already got a hernia.

Bob Wood

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Hell is in the heart of Michigan Militia territory. Even the dumbest of criminals is cognizant of the implications. Of course, insurance and a monitored alarm system helps too http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
My deviant mind takes great pride in security. I upgrade my security more than my HT gear. Having the Dirty Harry mentality I've engineered a system that well...

1. Secret 400 pound gorilla in the corner.

2. On call cavalry for home entry.

3. 2 seperate video surviellance systems

4. And a equipment room like Fort Knox(bring your chain saw and sledgehammer and expect lots of work if you don't have a key)

5. Finally some other deviant features that are definately not leagal. Thank god I don't have kids.

6. As an added bonus Anal retentive/peeping tom/busy body neighbors always help too. I cant even leave and come without them giving me a full report.

The funnest piece is the cheap little X10 video system. It sends me pictures at work of dogs walking though the yard etc.

Paranoid? no, just sick...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Pro's and con's of the CRT...

Pro: The burglar can't steal it because it's too damn heavy

Con: The thief tries to steal it, it falls on him, crushing him and putting him in a wheelchair for life. Thanks to our screwed up legal system, he ends up suing you and taking all you own, so you end up losing not only your home theater, but also your home.

Score another one for digital projectors!!! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Brian

·
Registered
184 Posts
Manny,

What part of Michigan Militia Territory are you located? I have a summer cottage near Port Sanilac in Forester Park, which is definitely in the heart of Militia Territory.

For the record, in Texas we all have guns... and we are not afraid to use them. Especially on someone who wants to rip off HT gear.

Cooter.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Yeah I pity the fool that breaks into my house. The arsenal is large and I wouldn't be very merciful.

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Hammerman,

As you know, I freely exchange personal info with the vast majority of people I meet.

It is the 1% of people out there that I don't trust.

In fact, when I do finally get my panamorph and I have my multimedia/HT room complete I will be inviting many people from the forum over to view recorded HD or whatever over at my place.

As far as the concealed weapons laws are concerned, I was a little apprehensive when Bush (then Govenor of TX) signed a concealed weapons law. As it has worked out, we as a state have had very few instances where the concealed weapon has become a problem.

To obtain a concealed weapons permit, you have to pass a background check, a written test and I believe a profficency test as well. It is kind of like becoming a body/security guard for yourself. The result is the vast majority of concealed weapons carriers are law-abiding citizens.

Also, establishments have the right to refuse service or admitance to anyone that has a concealed weapon, thus making it a crime to enter in such establishments with a concealed weapon.

I am sorry to here about your loss.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cooter:

What part of Michigan Militia Territory are you located? I have a summer cottage near Port Sanilac in Forester Park, which is definitely in the heart of Militia Territory.
<snicker> It's a pretty big center when the whole state is involved http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif Livingston County

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
With this story, in some minds my stock will go up, in others, it will go down.. oh well.

The laws about getting a handgun, and obtaining them changed recently in Canada (about 6 years ago). I decided to see how convoluted the process was. I applied to get a gun. 9mm to be exact. I had to produce what they considered a valid reason for wanting such, and a familiarity with the item in question, before owning it. I had to undergo a simple psyche test with a trained officer, as well. Then paperwork, paperwork...A 15 shot, one in the pipe czeck(?) CZ-75, an excellent point shooting weapon, if not the finest. The most interesting thing of all conerning it, is the balance. It balances PERFECTLY (in three axis!)on the highest pressure point exhibited by the finger, on the trigger, at the moment the hammer mech breaks and the gun fires.. with a a full clip. This is about as good as it gets. It always comes back...dead on target. This is why it is so widely copied. I decided to get the original, and to hell with the copies.

Anyway, I jumped through the hoops as an exercise. I kept the gun in it's discrete comonents (broken down, all over the place and main parts locked up) This way it could never be stolen. Besides, I had a 100 lb dog in the house at the time. I finally got rid of it, as it was too paranioa producing. I did not like the feel.

Here's a fun one for ya. What did I do with it? My dad remarried a while back. I told him and his bride that I would give then unique gifts. Man, I sure did. I get my sense of humor from my mother. He understood because he shares it as well. I gave him the 9mm, and three boxes of hardball ammo.(submachine gun rounds, 35% heavier powder load! besides the gun was rated at 27K rounds of sub ammo as it's lifespan) I gave his bride... a Nazi cerimonial dress dagger, with pearl handle, and gold inlay, in it's original scabbard. 10" blade. She weighs at least twice as much as him, so I figured it was about an even match. Ain't love grand? Anyway, they had a laugh.. and promptly put the items away of course.

------------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by KBK (edited 06-22-2001).]

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.