Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

___If you use your HTPC for WMA file playback, you may be interested in the info posted at The Register today … According to the readme, there are issues with WMP versions as well the code creation itself that make this a cumbersome beast at best but with this kind of hacking going on, maybe the DRM issues will go away for those that care to sidetrack MS’s best efforts …

___I do not condone such activity nor have I ever participated in it but I thought it was an interesting article none the less for those concerned w/ digital privacy and or our current capabilities.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
The crack that was released only removes the encryption from DRM version 2 WMA files. These files are not that common right at the moment. DRM version 1 files are more common.

The underlying DRM technology built into Windows ME and Windows XP is still present and can't be circumvented using this type of approach. As it stands, it's only through methods such as removing the DRM encryption can license information from the files that you can keep the OS support for DRM from preventing certain activities like copying or playing out a digital interface. This crack removes the encryption and license information from the file, and this is what allows you to bypass the windows DRM system.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.