AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
14,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MS Drops XP support - the first shoe drops

Just downloaded the latest version of MS spyware/malware program. Tried to run it on a client XP system and got rebuffed. Pulled the one I downloaded about a month ago and it went right in.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I didn't know it wouldn't even install after support went away.

For XP now, every day will be zero day for new or unpatched exploits. The only way I'm going to be running XP (still need it from time to time for an old application) is on a machine that isn't connected to the Internet, or a sandboxed virtual machine.

·
Registered
666 Posts
That's fine Mike, unless you need to open a 15 or 20-year old spreadsheet that was never converted to a newer format. I have to dig back into old work archives once or twice a year. In a lot of cases, I need to run XP to use an old (really old) Win95 or XP version of an application to be able to open and convert a file that's in LOTUS 1-2-3 or even QuattroPro for DOS or Win 3.1 or Win95. It's not worth hundreds or thousands of hours to convert years and years of work that's been archived.

·
Registered
680 Posts
i still have to run XP for some work. Runs great on VM Workstation. Will have to move to Windows 7 for the other VM that does connect to clients though.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro  /t/1526558/ms-drops-xp-support-the-first-shoe-drops/0_100#post_24588266

That's fine Mike, unless you need to open a 15 or 20-year old spreadsheet that was never converted to a newer format. I have to dig back into old work archives once or twice a year. In a lot of cases, I need to run XP to use an old (really old) Win95 or XP version of an application to be able to open and convert a file that's in LOTUS 1-2-3 or even QuattroPro for DOS or Win 3.1 or Win95. It's not worth hundreds or thousands of hours to convert years and years of work that's been archived.

I would not keep an XP machine around for this. Seems silly. I'd just run whatever office you needed virtual- or run XP virtual even. No sense in needing any support for that from MS. That's a really small problem that effects so few people and there is plenty of work around for such available if you just search google.

Use your new machine. Open the old archives on that.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The large corporation that I subcontract for still uses XP for many legacy applications that haven't been updated for W7. The IT dept is so resistant to do the necessary coding to update these programs. Hell, some databases that i have to use are still running on DOS! All the workstations use client servers/vm to access the network, so they all dual boot XP and W7. I can mainly operate in the W7 environment, but I still have to use the XP side a few times a week.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro  /t/1526558/ms-drops-xp-support-the-first-shoe-drops#post_24588266

One can always run XP on a virtual machine running under any subsequent release. I prefer VMware's virtual machine.

·
Registered
666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1526558/ms-drops-xp-support-the-first-shoe-drops#post_24589256

One can always run XP on a virtual machine running under any subsequent release. I prefer VMware's virtual machine.

That's what I'll probably end up doing next time I need it. I also have a working XP laptop that lives in a closet that l can use til it's dead.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's just silly how much business software companies haven't released official win7 versions, not to mention win8.

You get your IT to force it to run on win7, yet it's not "officially" supported.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
My company has upgraded over 80% of their PCs to Win 7. Mine is still running XP, but I'm slated to get a new PC in the very near future. Win 7 has been a nightmare for a lot of people. With security being extremely tight these days, a lot of the capabilities I have on my XP machine are going away with Win 7, which really sucks. If I had the option, I'd just disconnect my PC from the internet and keep running XP. I like Win 7 on my home PCs, but they way it's being implemented in my office environment is not going to make me happy. A lot of the tasks I was able to perform myself will now have to be farmed out to others in my department that have the proper software.

·
Registered
666 Posts
+1

I resisted moving to Win7 at work until a couple of years ago. I still don't see a benefit from a usability/productivity standpoint. I know it's more secure and it's a better OS overall, but I still find myself looking for things in the wrong place and needing extra clicks to find things. I had XP configured and customized perfectly for how I used it. (Sigh) I must be getting old and set in my ways.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Yeah, I did not expect Microsoft Security Essentials to be dropped from the XP support, as well. I was OK with not getting patches and updates from Microsoft.

Took one of the older XP laptops (Compaq from 2001 that I paid $300 for at CompUSA) to Best Buy for their $100 trade in guarantee that they are running this week. Bought a cheap new laptop for $150 with the credit.

Still keeping one of the XP laptops for when I need to run the programs that are only supported in XP.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Old XP machines are a good candidates for Ubuntu...

I loan out my salvaged Ubuntu machines to folks that are computer illiterate for web crawling and e-mail. Machines are virtually bomb-proof; never had to rebuild or repair.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod  /t/1526558/ms-drops-xp-support-the-first-shoe-drops#post_24591288

Yeah, I did not expect Microsoft Security Essentials to be dropped from the XP support, as well. I was OK with not getting patches and updates from Microsoft.

Took one of the older XP laptops (Compaq from 2001 that I paid $300 for at CompUSA) to Best Buy for their $100 trade in guarantee that they are running this week. Bought a cheap new laptop for $150 with the credit.

Still keeping one of the XP laptops for when I need to run the programs that are only supported in XP.

Security Essentials seems to be in a halfway house. As I mentioned downloading the current installer retrieved a problem that failed under XP , but the installer I downloaded in min-January works. No problems updating its definitions.

I've been experimenting with running XP in a VMWARE virtual machine under Windows 8.1, which has so far been very productive. I've only got one program that is causing problems under 8.1 and it is running very well on XP under VMware. I just installed XP, SP/1, SP/2 and Security Essentials on the VMWare virtual machine with no problems. It seems to be even a little smoother than running XP on a real machine. Certainly it is smoother and more transparent then running on a different machine.

·
Registered
809 Posts
You can get codecs to allow modern programs to translate old format files.

That, with XP mode, should give you all you need.

Sent from my Note3 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Funny. I use my Windows XP desktop most of the time. Not sure how long new software will support XP. Software like Turbotax and McAfee Internet Security.

I use my Windows 8 laptop when I need a machine that has speed!

·
Registered
817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1526558/ms-drops-xp-support-the-first-shoe-drops#post_24587259

Just downloaded the latest version of MS spyware/malware program. Tried to run it on a client XP system and got rebuffed. Pulled the one I downloaded about a month ago and it went right in.

Hi, sorry this is so late, but question for the OP...
What is the latest version of MSE that works for XP after EOL date?

*Edit for rephrase*

What was the revision of MSE that you confirmed as still working with XP? TIA.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler  /t/1526558/ms-drops-xp-support-the-first-shoe-drops#post_24592797

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1526558/ms-drops-xp-support-the-first-shoe-drops#post_24587259

*Edit for rephrase*

I double checked and the problem is not what runs, but what you can install. The MSE that is running under XP on my PC is the identical same version as the MSE that runs under Win 8.1. They buggered the installer so that MSE can't install.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler  /t/1526558/ms-drops-xp-support-the-first-shoe-drops#post_24592797

Quote:

*Edit for rephrase*

The one running on my XP VM is:

Antimalware Client Version: 4.4.304.0

Engine Version: 1.1.10401.0

Antivirus definition: 1.169.2280.0

Antispyware definition: 1.169.2280.0

The one running on the Win 8.1 host is:

Antimalware Client Version: 4.4.304.0

Engine Version: 1.1.10401.0

Antivirus definition: 1.169.2280.0

Antispyware definition: 1.169.2280.0

Network Inspection System Engine Version: 2.1.10302.0

Network Inspection System Definition Version: 110.31.0.0

I conclude that the antimalware is the same, but the installer is different.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts