AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a way that MS could have released a cheaper version and not pissed off so many people in the process.


$299 Cheap Version - The core system that will soon be released, but with a memory card included. Face it, the system is useless without a way to store your progress in a game. If MS would have included a memory card in the core system, there would be a lot less whining going on right now. This could be considered a cheap version for people without a broadband connection and no intention of getting Xbox Live or downloading content and don't care about ripping soundtracks for their games


$360 Standard Version - comes with wireless controller and HDD. This is the system that MS alluded to and most people assumed would be the one released. This version could have been for people who want the HDD for ripping soundtracks for their games and who might want to get Xbox Live in the future.


$399 Premium Version - comes with wireless controller, HDD, Live headset, High Def AV cables and remote. This is the same one soon to be released and is for the current Live subscriber who wants it all.


As far as I'm concerned, MS is full of BS. They say they want to give the customer options but in reality they don't.


You've got two choices, all or nothing. The core unit as I said earlier will really cost $340 if you have any intention of saving your progress in a game since you have to buy a memory card. The Premium version forces some people to spend more than they need to. If you want the HDD but don't have broadband and an HDTV, the Live headset and High Def AV cables are worthless to you.


$340 or $399 ? Most will choose the $399 version.


Congratulations MS, you figured out a pricing scheme to ensure that most customers will buy the more expensive SKU and at the same time screwed poor little Jonny's mother who did not know any better and will later have to buy him a $40 memory card just so he can save his game progress.


Seeing as how only 10% of the people who currently have an Xbox also have Live, MS is not giving people much of a choice by only giving them two options and this might be by design. They don't really want people to opt for the cheap version. The more people that buy the Premium version, the more potential that there is for future Xbox Live customers and that is MS's real goal - more subscribers. If you already have the HDD, the greater likelihood there is of you being a future Live subscriber and purchasing downloadable content.


I don't have a problem with MS trying to get more subscriptions to Live. I have a problem with the way they're going about it and I hope it doesn't backfire on them. I love my Xbox and I think Live is one of the best things to ever happen to gaming but there is no doubt about it, this all or nothing approach has pissed off a lot of their customers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
NO! MS should just offer one skew with the harddrive, component cable, wireless controller, headset, and WiFi adapter for free like AOL disks! Oh yeah, and Halo 3 on the harddisk cuz I think they promised that on some message board too. That way all the 133t g4MRz saving for xbox 360 would spend the money on gamz and M$ would make lots of profit and beat sony that way right?? I'm gonna giv this idea to J Allard and he'll change his plans 4sho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,422 Posts
Look if you're that broke you shouldn't buy it to begin with.. These new console are for adults that have jobs not something kids will get for their birthdays.. Xbox360 and PS3 are monster machines.. If you think you're going to get next gen graphics for under 100 bucks your smoking CRACK... Now go find me a GPU under 300 bucks that will run BF2 great... Not going to happen..




I can't believe the amount of bitching people are doing on consoles that will be far more powerful than PC's when launched for far less the price it would be to build a PC close to those specs..



I can't wait until the PS3 comes out, the bitching will be 5x greater.........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
Hey dude I didn't say I wanted it for $100 bucks, I said I wanted it for free, delivered to my doorstep by Bill Gates!



And not a penny more!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,223 Posts
since were bitching about price...I WANT CHEAPER GAS! LOL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01
Look if you're that broke you shouldn't buy it to begin with.. These new console are for adults that have jobs not something kids will get for their birthdays.. Xbox360 and PS3 are monster machines
Obviously you've never been on Live if you think these consoles are only for adults. If these consoles were just for adults, MS never would have gotten into the business to begin with. MS set the price points and then try to come off with how they're giving you options.


Personally I would have rather they just offered the premium SKU and be done with it. People would have bitched about the price and gotten over it much sooner. Since they didn't, they could have come out with another option that included the HDD and wireless controller for $360. This would have given people more of a choice and wouldn't seem like that large of an increase in price over the original Xbox.


Why do you think there's so much whining going on ? People were expecting a $299 price including the HDD. I think the $399 price is great for what I'll get but there are a lot of people out there who don't need or want the headset, HD AV cables or the remote. MS could have easily not included those items and released a console for $360 with the HDD and wireless controller and you would have had a lot less whining.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
Smithfarmer your prices are all wrong considering what you want included with the system.

Prices

• Faceplate ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)

• Hard Drive (20 GB) ($99.99, 99.99 Euros, 69.99 GBP)

• Memory Unit (64 MB) ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 22.99 GBP)

• Wireless Networking Adapter ($99.99, 79.99 Euros, 59.99 GBP)

• Wireless Controller ($49.99, 44.99 Euros, 32.99 GBP)

• Play and Charge Kit ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)

• Rechargeable Battery Pack ($11.99, 14.99 Euros, 9.99 GBP)

• Controller ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 24.99 GBP)

• Headset ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)

• Universal Media Remote ($29.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)

• Component HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)

• S-Video AV Cable (US) ($29.99)

• SCART AV Cable (Europe) (24.99 Euros, 17.99 GBP)

• VGA HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)

In your world- cheap system $299 core system and memory card
In reality- $299 core system + $39.99= $338.99

In your world-standard version- $360 wireless controller and harddrive
In reality- $299 system + $49.99 wireless controller + $99 harddrive= $447.99


I think the pricing system makes sense and benefits the hardcore crowd greatly. A $299 xbox360, a $99 harddrive and a $49.99 wireless controller would cost much more. Also if I remember correctly no console that has required a memory card had it come with it for free. Solid state memory is much more expensive than a harddrive.


I remember buying the ps1 for $299, a 128kb memory card for 20 bucks I think, and a game all separately. Nothing has changed even the prices are pretty much the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveCrazy Joe
Smithfarmer your prices are all wrong considering what you want included with the system.


Maybe you need to read this thread again as you've obviously missed the point I was trying to make.


Quote:
Originally Posted by smithfarmer
There is a way that MS could have released a cheaper version and not pissed off so many people in the process.


$299 Cheap Version - The core system that will soon be released, but with a memory card included. Face it, the system is useless without a way to store your progress in a game. If MS would have included a memory card in the core system, there would be a lot less whining going on right now. This could be considered a cheap version for people without a broadband connection and no intention of getting Xbox Live or downloading content and don't care about ripping soundtracks for their games


$360 Standard Version - comes with wireless controller and HDD. This is the system that MS alluded to and most people assumed would be the one released. This version could have been for people who want the HDD for ripping soundtracks for their games and who might want to get Xbox Live in the future.


$399 Premium Version - comes with wireless controller, HDD, Live headset, High Def AV cables and remote. This is the same one soon to be released and is for the current Live subscriber who wants it all.
The point I was trying to make is that there would have been a lot less bitching if MS had made another SKU. They could have easily dropped the headset, HD AV cables and the remote from the $399 Premium bundle and released a new SKU at $360. This would have given people the HDD and a wireless controller at a price that would not seem that much higher than the original Xbox. The $299 SKU that MS is going to release is pretty worthless without a memory card and that is what has a lot of people upset.


The great thing about the Xbox was that because of the HDD, no Mem cards were needed for game saves and you could download content and rip music to it. This now costs you an extra $100 for the same functionality. I can easily afford it but for many on the lower economic rungs of society, that increase in price hurts.


Edited for spelling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Martin
An easier solution would be to offer the HDD initially for a limited time for $50 (or even $60).
That would work just as well but since they're charging $40 for the mem card I don't think you'll ever see that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
There is a reason why everyone is poking fun at you. You dont understand the base cost of the system itself. This is a nextgen system that will be faster than any computer you can buy or put together for the price. The original xbox ran on a 733mhz processor, an older nvidia card, 8gb harddrive, and a paltry 64megs of ram for 299. Now you get a better system for the same price and your bitching and complaining. Unbelieveable!


Read this. http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/643/643170p1.html
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithfarmer
That would work just as well but since they're charging $40 for the mem card I don't think you'll ever see that.
True. J. Allard did say there is room for more configurations down the road so we could see some changes as we go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,285 Posts
Heck yes people are going to b*tch. All other consumer electronics - including high end gaming PCs - tend to come down in price even as they are getting better and adding more features. Whether it is realistic or not, that's the expectation people have.


Oh, and I don't know why you guys want Bill Gates to deliver your new machine. I'm thinking more along the lines of Diora Baird.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveCrazy Joe
There is a reason why everyone is poking fun at you. You dont understand the base cost of the system itself. This is a nextgen system that will be faster than any computer you can buy or put together for the price. The original xbox ran on a 733mhz processor, an older nvidia card, 8gb harddrive, and a paltry 64megs of ram for 299. Now you get a better system for the same price and your bitching and complaining. Unbelieveable!


Read this. http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/643/643170p1.html
How is this any different from when the original Xbox was released? At the time, that was significantly faster than most other average priced PC's available. And they managed to offer that for $299!


And your point of comparing the specs of the Xbox to the Xbox 360 is ridiculous. Of course we'd better get a better machine for the same price - it's being released 4 years later for God's sake!


This mentality that we should all be down on bended knee praising MS for releasing the Xbox 360 at the same, widely accepted price point consoles have always been released at is pretty ludicrous. They're not doing anything that Nintendo, Sega, or any other console manufacturer hasn't done for years.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine
How is this any different from when the the original Xbox was released? At the time, that was significantly faster than most other average priced PC's available. And they managed to offer that for $299!


And your point of comparing the specs of the Xbox to the Xbox 360 is ridiculous. Of course we'd better get a better machine for the same price - it's being released 4 years later for God's sake!


This mentality that we should all be down on bended knee praising MS for releasing the Xbox 360 at the same, widely accepted price point consoles have always been released at is pretty ludicrous. They're not doing anything that Nintendo, Sega, or any other console manufacturer hasn't done for years.
I don't know about bended knee but I think some props need to out to them for figuring out a way to get us an insanely powerful system for the same price as a console 5 years ago. You still have to take inflation into account and other factors.


As far as 'widely accepted price point' I think it's a bit ludicrous to keep expecting consoles to launch for exactly the same price as they did 20 years ago but it is necessary for world wide acceptance. Knowing what other things cost in comparisoon like a $250 PSP or $300 for an Ipod makes the core system and the 360 look amazing from a pricing standpoint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,711 Posts
Quote:
Why do you think there's so much whining going on ? People were expecting a $299 price including the HDD
for me it is not the price, it is about FUD (and FUD is puting it lightly), I guess what disapoints me more is that people here try to justify that FUD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyP
for me it is not the price, it is about FUD (and FUD is puting it lightly), I guess what disapoints me more is that people here try to justify that FUD.
Care to elaborate (not on what FUD is but how you see it applying here)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Martin
I don't know about bended knee but I think some props need to out to them for figuring out a way to get us an insanely powerful system for the same price as a console 5 years ago. You still have to take inflation into account and other factors.


As far as 'widely accepted price point' I think it's a bit ludicrous to keep expecting consoles to launch for exactly the same price as they did 20 years ago but it is necessary for world wide acceptance. Knowing what other things cost in comparisoon like a $250 PSP or $300 for an Ipod makes the core system and the 360 look amazing from a pricing standpoint.
I don't think the average consumer will pay much more than that frankly. MS is towing the line with the $399 Xbox 360 as well. They know this, hence the new core system. Ditto for $60-70 games. The majority of people just won't pay it, myself included. There's a reason why many games go from $50 to $20 in a matter of months - because they aren't selling. There's literally a handful of titles a year that will sell large numbers at higher pricepoints, and even with those, there's a limit to how much people will spend.


If MS is smart, they won't try and push the pricing angle too far this generation. If they're looking for market share, that's not a smart move to make.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyP
for me it is not the price, it is about FUD (and FUD is puting it lightly), I guess what disapoints me more is that people here try to justify that FUD.
And I suppose I am at the top of that list right?

Look, we have 3 consoles to look forward too. PS3, 360, and Revolution.


The Revolution is not going to be HD friendly which I really want. The PS3 may actually rock this time around but it's a long way off. The only console I have to look forward to right now is the 360 and from what I have seen it looks to be good. I sympathize with people who don't have a lot of money and I realize they have some concerns but I think a lot of them are due to a lack of not having all of the facts like the hard drive being essential to games.

I'm being optimistic here. people should not have expected to get everything for $299. It isn't realistic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top