AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A intresting article at EE Times http://www.eet.com/article/printable...axonomyID=4217 on Microsoft's VC-1 progress within the SMPTE standards committee. A little one sided, but it does paint a picture. Some notable quotes.
Quote:
But the standardization of WMV9 has not gone as smoothly as the software giant expected. The process, begun last year, appears bogged down by infighting and general distrust, with no clear sign of when VC-1 � the SMPTE standard based on WMV9 � will reach fruition.
Quote:
Multiple sources close to the SMPTE process told EE Times last week that Microsoft created the impression in the industry that its WMV9 codec had a leg up on H.264/MPEG-4 AVC in quality and licensing terms. But now that the WMV9-based VC-1 has been put to the test in the arduous SMPTE standardization process, VC-1 is "perceived as behind in quality and behind in licensing terms, compared to H.264/MPEG-4 AVC," one source said.
Quote:
Now, there is speculation that delays or licensing problems for VC-1 could prompt either � or both � of the DVD industry groups to simply delete the Microsoft technology from their specifications.
I thought VC-1 was a "done deal". Apparently it's not.

What's the impact of all the infighting on the roll out of HD DVD? Can or will HD DVD be rolled out before VC-1 is ready?

·
Registered
286 Posts
They can choose to drop it; it's not like MPEG2, with a massive base of existing media. That would tend to tick off MS, though, and a number of the companies in each camp probably want to maintain good relations with MS.

They could probably choose to spec some version of the VC1 proposal as "the one to implement", if they wanted to, but that would effectively bless that version as "the standard", eliminating any leverage to negotiate licensing.

I suspect that they'll delete it before they'll delay rollout very much unless other factors (availability of movies, principally) also look likely to cause delay. For non-STB units, adding a new format later wouldn't be too hard. For STBs it's not impossible, if it's designed for it (but that costs money :)

So my gut reaction is yeah, they can roll it out even if VC1 isn't up to it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by maxleung
I'm curious about how the H264/mpeg4 stuff is "superior" to Microsoft's proposed codec.
I noticed that too. Any insiders have any info. What is the criteria that it is measured against?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.