AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone here might have at least an idea as to why this is happening, so thanks in advance.

I have recently built my first HTPC. And I installed 2005 MCE as the OS, but it crashes every 10-20 minutes. It is a hard crash in which everything simply stops, no blue screen, no error messages, nothing. The system simply freezes and has to be rebooted manually. I could not even install all the hardware drivers as it consistantly crashed whenever I tried to load the driver to the capture/tuner card I have.

The system is as follows:

Case: Silverstone LC10-M Black

Power Supply: Seasonic S12 430W

Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum

CPU: AMD64-X2 4400+

RAM: 2x512MB Mushkin 3500 Redline Kit

Video: BFG 7800 GTX

Sound: HDA Mystique 7.1 Gold

Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV-500MCE

Hard Drives: 2x Seagate 7800.8 300GB SATA

DVD-ROM: NEC ND-3520a Black

MISC: USB-UIRT, Nvidia Decoder Codec

I finally gave up on trying to find the problem. I do not think it is hardware (at least not the main components, hard drives, dvd, cpu, motherboard, video, sound) as the system ran perfectly fine using a Knoppix Live Linux CD running memtest for 6 hours straight.

I eventually put WinXP Pro on the system and it is running fine, for MS XP (only 1 crash in 2 days). I loaded up SageTV as I also own it and am using this for now. I just want to know what would have caused the issues with MCE? Could it be drivers? I find that hard to believe since MCE is basically XP Pro with the added Media Center stuff, but who knows. It is just frustrating knowing that I wasted the money on the MCE OS.

·
Registered
386 Posts
It can be extremely hard to pinpoint problems like that, but it is most likely a hardware or driver issue. Nvidia drivers for MCE have been very problematic for me, many versions would cause it to crash similar to what you describe (but only when running Media Center). The drivers currently available on their website for MCE (72.14) have been pretty stable. I also had a system that would crash like that randomly when running in 3D mode because the BFG video card was overheating (bad unit).

It would be useful if you could provide more info on what exactly is running when it crashes. Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS and nForce chipset drivers etc.

Besides memtest, did you try running other stress tests like Prime95?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Check the event viewer after the crash, it will often provide information leading to the cause. Often the errors from event viewer can be put in Google and additional information found. Reinstall MCE leaving out the tv tuner and sound card during the initial build. You should be able to use the onboard SPDIF out for audio to your receiver/pre pro. I would only use the addon sound card if there was reason the on board SPDIF did not provide needed functions. Install the addon cards one at a time once the system is stable.

I do not know Knoppix will interfere with memtest86, suggest downloading the ISO image memtest86 and creating a bootable CD. I always run memtest86 from a bootable floppy.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
John P,

Are you saying he should ditch the X-Mystique card? That would totally suck because it can do Dolby Digital Live which would be great for games, since the SPIDF on the motherboard can't do that.

I have the same motherboard, and I can hear digital clicks when it's silent and the HDD kicks in. I would think the Mystique would be an improvement, no?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know I say this alot but with those monster parts ur running that 430 watt power supply sure is not gonna cut it if you ask me. Try using the video card and unplug the dvd drive and one hard drive and see if that helps. If that is not the problem I would try memtest and see if you are getting any errors.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
If MCE crashes every 10 min and the other OS's are stable, it's obviously a MCE driver issue.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I agree with MikeTech,

Sounds like a video driver issue to me. Also make sure your auxialliary power connector is connected properly. Uninstall you video drivers and reinstall the ones that came with your card and see if that improves stability. You can then experiment with other drivers to find a newer one that is stable. If that is the problem and you are concerned about this happening again, don't use any beta drivers, only use WHQL-certified drivers. They have been tested as being release quality by the people at Microsoft, not just at the manufacturer.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I agree with prior two posts. One more point to help you is that you should make for sure you are using MCE2005-specific drivers whenever possible. Especially for vid card and tuner cards. Proper un-installation of previous driver sets is very important as well.

Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was hoping I'd find something like this in here!!

I am having a similar problem.

Here are my specs:

Athlon XP3000+ 400Mhz

512Mb 3200 DDR

200Gb IDE 7200rpm HDD

Radeon 9550SE 128Mb

Abit VA-20 Mobo

Xpro 350W Quiet PSU

HDA Mystique 7.1 DDL Sound Card

BlackGold DVB-T Tuner

Power DVD 6.0

MCE 2005 with all latest patches

So here's the problem:

When I play any DVDs without MCE running, they are great. I get Dolby Digital passthrough using the coax or optical out on the sound card to my amp. It sounds great.

However, when I then go and play the same DVD in MCE 2005 it jumps every 10 seconds or so. I can't tell whether it's the sound jumping to keep up with the video, or vice versa, but the video jumps and the sound jumps or buzzes, like a modem, just very briefly, but enough to be totally noticable and enough to make my wife think it's a waste of money.

I tried moving the sound card to a different slot, but in that slot, when a Dolby Digital track is reached (ie the Menu in Aliens) the whole system reboots!

I took the card out and tried the onboard sound (just analogue sadly) and it worked fine. The onboard up until now had been disabled. It worked perfectly. Sound quality was poor obviously, but no jumping.

I put the card back in, jumping.

I am about to play with just using analogue outputs on the card to see if makes any difference, but haven't had a chance. Plus, I really need to use the spdif otherwise it's a bit of a waste.....

So anyone got any ideas as to why this would so this?

The same error occurs on recorded video from Live TV. It's fine on Live TV, play it back, jumps and stutters. Play the same video back in Media Player, plays fine.....

I've tried the drivers that come with the card and the ones off the website. No difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.