AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some tickets (unexpected perk) for last nights Mets/Philly game and my 11 yr old son & I got an extra perk when we asked for and received a quick tour of their HD truck. It was an unexpected quickie so I wasn't prepared with what to examine, so I simply took it all in and thought about it later.

There were two main areas. One was for audio (2 guys) and the second (larger) area for video with about 6 guys. Center stage was two 16:9 monitors, one doing 4:3, the second 16:9. They looked to be about 38-40" and were flanked by 10 or so smaller SD units. I tried to get a sense of what they were doing but my eyes didn't have enough time to get used to the dark environment (my eyes were used to the bright sunshine outside). One guy I focused on was inserting text & graphics to a picture on a small 15" monitor and others were focused on an onfield interview with Mo Vaugn on the 38" monitors.

All in all, it was a great experience and I'm glad I asked for the tour. I'm not clear on whether or not they were MSG people but they were all happy to share their knowledge & truck with two strangers. If anyone from that operation is reading this, THANK YOU.

After we took our mezzanine seats behind home plate, my son spotted a camera unit about 250' away and went for a tour of that as well. My son explained he took a tour of the production truck and that we receive the HD signal off Cablevision. The cameraman listened and said 'how did you get in there?" and then explained his unit and how he can switch between SD & HD. Nice guy, he wanted to explain more but had to get back to work.

First game for my 11 yr old! (he does play Little league this year) and he got to see Piazza blast a game winner over the wall then Benitez throw 96mph fireballs for the save. We were able to visit the field level behind home plate for about 10 minutes in the 7th thanks to an old guard who gave my kid a break.

Wish I had more details about the operation but like I said, it was totally unexpected and my eyes were freaking out in the darkness. Great time.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.