AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So BF2 has gotten the best of me and I decided to upgrade my 6600GT for the 7800GTX in my gaming machine so that I can run BF2 in glorious 1600x1200 high Q and 4xAA. Newegg has a good deal on the MSI OEM version (basically the full version with VIVO but without the fancy packaging and bundled games) for ~$470. So I bought this card and removed my 6600GT and have had a couple of problems that just won't go away.

The first problem is that the 7800GTX just doesn't recognize my 2nd monitor. The 6600GT worked flawlessly in with both monitors although I used DVI and VGA. With the 7800GTX I'm attempting to use both DVI's and the second monitor never shows up under the display profiles.

The other thing that is weird is that the 6600GT used to show a graphic of my Asus A8N-SLI mboard and dual video cards when it would boot. The 7800GT by comparison just shows some weird garbage text on boot. Eventually it will properly display the Bios bootup screen (Press Del to enter setup) and then the windows startup. It's just the initial power on screen that is messed up.

I've tried the latest Nvidia drivers and they don't correct either problem. Anyone have any ideas? I checked MSI's website and they only offer the nvidia drivers. I didn't see any Bios upgrades available. I'm very close to sending the MSI back and ordering a Gigabyte, XFX or eVGA 7800GTX instead. The MSI works flawlessly in BF2 though. If I can get the other two problems fixed I'll keep it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The first thing that I would do is try plugging in the monitor that IS working into the DVI port on the card that the 2nd monitor (that's not working) is trying to use.

This will eliminate the prospect of a bad DVI port.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that is top on my list to try when I get home from work tonight. I was up late trying different drivers, etc. and wasn't able to get to swapping the monitors around last night. It still doesn't explain the garbled graphic on the boot screen though.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
The garbled graphic on boot just seems like a delay for the card to display. Does it garble when you restart your computer?

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's always garbled. Cold boot, reboot, etc all have the same behavior. It looks like the vid card is initialized for text mode and it doesn't get reinitialized for graphics until well along in the boot process. My Gigabyte 6600GT never had this problem.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I just read that another individual had a similar problem, but with a BFG 7800 GTX. Every once in a while he would get a garbled screen through the whole boot process and in the windows environment. The only fix for his card was to restart the computer. He got an EVGA 7800 GTX and it works properly. I just wanted to let you know.

Link to BFG 7800 GTX Problem

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to return it. Also, fwiw I played around trying to get both monitors to work and found out that 1) both monitors work fine (duh!) 2) both DVI cables work fine 3) both ports on the MSI work fine, but only one port will work at one time. Talk about lame. I think I'm going to opt for the eVGA card now, it's $100 more but it's about 15% faster.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I havn't run into any issues with my BFG 7800 GTX with garbled images. It might be a quality control issue and is hit or miss though.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I recently purchased and installed two EVGA 7800 GTs that each came with a free EVGA SLI motherboard that I will sell on Ebay. These cards are ridiculously fast and can easily be overclocked to GTX speeds.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: I received the XFX card just fine and found the same exact behavior with the new card! After more debugging I noticed that the garbled bootup graphics and dual-DVI problem are related. When I disconnect one monitor the bootup graphics are displayed fine. I also connected one of the monitors via VGA cable rather than DVI using the included DVI->VGA adapter and bingo, everything works fine! So I'm guessing this has more to do with a DVI incompatiblity than anything else. The flat panel displays I'm using are a: 1) Samsung SyncMaster 213T and an old 18" Dell. It could be that the Dell doesnt' like to be hooked up on DVI simultaneously with another monitor.

On another note, I noticed that the chipset fan on my Asus A8N-SLI mboard had stopped working. A quick websearch told me that this problem is endemic to the A8N-SLI and also an Abit board. The small 9000 RPM fans just don't last more than a month or so. The mboard appears to work fine though and I'm going to replace it with a Zalman fanless chipset cooler.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petersen
On another note, I noticed that the chipset fan on my Asus A8N-SLI mboard had stopped working. A quick websearch told me that this problem is endemic to the A8N-SLI and also an Abit board. The small 9000 RPM fans just don't last more than a month or so. The mboard appears to work fine though and I'm going to replace it with a Zalman fanless chipset cooler.
Yes, that is a plague that we Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe owners all face. I replaced the fan with the Zalman. However, many video cards won't fit with the Zalman in place. The Northbridge can accept a lot of heat, so even going without a heatsink and/or fan for a little while will be fine.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83
Yes, that is a plague that we Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe owners all face. I replaced the fan with the Zalman. However, many video cards won't fit with the Zalman in place. The Northbridge can accept a lot of heat, so even going without a heatsink and/or fan for a little while will be fine.
Yeah my box started making grinding noises over a month ago and I mistakenly thought it was the cheap OEM CPU fan so I bought a Zalman Copper CPU cooler. The noise suddenly went away though so I never got around to installing the Zalman. I figure that the noise went away because the cheap chipset fan died so my system has been running fanless for over a month. I leave my PC up 24/7 too! I read similar abuse stories, all with a happy ending. Also, fwiw I read that some who installed the Zalman chipset heat sink trimmed some of the fins away so that it wouldn't cause a problem with their vid card.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petersen
Yeah my box started making grinding noises over a month ago and I mistakenly thought it was the cheap OEM CPU fan so I bought a Zalman Copper CPU cooler. The noise suddenly went away though so I never got around to installing the Zalman. I figure that the noise went away because the cheap chipset fan died so my system has been running fanless for over a month. I leave my PC up 24/7 too! I read similar abuse stories, all with a happy ending. Also, fwiw I read that some who installed the Zalman chipset heat sink trimmed some of the fins away so that it wouldn't cause a problem with their vid card.
When I first heard the noise I thought a fighter jet was taking off, then later it sounded like a stuck motor. It was beyond loud even in my Antec P180 case. That fan was such garbage and gave me such trouble that I had to torture it before I disposed of it. No computer fan should be running at 9000 rpm.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83
No computer fan should be running at 9000 rpm.
I totally agree! The Asus A8N-SLI is a flagship board for Asus and then they cripple it by putting in a cheap chipset fan running at 9000 RPM no less. From what I understand they have been inundated with repair requests so hopefully they have learned something.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.