AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got arround to connect the MSI Diva Live to 5 pretty capable fulltone speakers, which was almost impossible with the standard plug (because of the wire thickness). What I heard was both good and bad.

The bad:

Serious lack of bass. Subwoofer needed.

With the driver available, I couldn't activate the sub without configuring my fulltone speakers as satellites, in order to get some more bass when playing CD's.

The good:

Playing 5.1 24bit/96kHz DVD-Audio with PowerDVD, where they actually recorded some bass in the .1 channel, reveals the potential of the 5.1 amp card...really cooool sound.

Compared to normal amps/receivers, I would rate the power at arround 5x65-70 W, which is more than I thought it could output.

the amp card seemes to have excellent power management features (powering of after a certain idle time...not sure about it, but it seems to do that even on speaker pairs...e.g. powering down parts of the amp when listening to stereo only).

So this weekend the Diva Live will go back to it's intended place in the living room, as a htpc with satellites. Any suggestions about what I should try, to get better bass response, before it goes back?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbhifi /forum/post/17034916

I finally got arround to connect the MSI Diva Live to 5 pretty capable fulltone speakers, which was almost impossible with the standard plug (because of the wire thickness). What I heard was both good and bad.

The bad:

With the driver available, I couldn't activate the sub without configuring my fulltone speakers as satellites, in order to get some more bass when playing CD's.

The good:

Playing 5.1 24bit/96kHz DVD-Audio with PowerDVD, where they actually recorded some bass in the .1 channel, reveals the potential of the 5.1 amp card...really cooool sound.

Compared to normal amps/receivers, I would rate the power at arround 5x65-70 W, which is more than I thought it could output.

the amp card seemes to have excellent power management features (powering of after a certain idle time...not sure about it, but it seems to do that even on speaker pairs...e.g. powering down parts of the amp when listening to stereo only).

So this weekend the Diva Live will go back to it's intended place in the living room, as a htpc with satellites. Any suggestions about what I should try, to get better bass response, before it goes back?

The solution was really designed as a 5.1 set up. However, I think some of what you are describing around the bass is Window's audio management.

When you get into the properties panel, you have some more level of control over frequencies, etc. However, there is only so much you can do even in Windows.

However, in the blog I wrote, I talk about how much more control you can get with the Maui platform once D2Audio finishes off the new f/w and releases it.

http://links.amd.com/TurnItUp

You should also note that the percieved volume you are hearing is due to the intial f/w on the card. There is a version of the f/w floating around that adds about 6dB of output to the amp card. That boosts the volume quite a bit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Just wanted to make sure there was not some kind of magic button i forgot to push.

I just came back from another Diva Live listening session, and playing DVD-Audio's continues to deliver an impressive sound quality and volume level. You simply will not believe that the sound is coming from that small plug-in card in your PC.

I've had some experience listening to different sound formats, and the difference between CD and DVD-Audio should not be as big as is the case here. I think it all comes down to controling the crossover freq.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbhifi /forum/post/17041197

Thanks! Just wanted to make sure there was not some kind of magic button i forgot to push.

I just came back from another Diva Live listening session, and playing DVD-Audio's continues to deliver an impressive sound quality and volume level. You simply will not believe that the sound is coming from that small plug-in card in your PC.

I've had some experience listening to different sound formats, and the difference between CD and DVD-Audio should not be as big as is the case here. I think it all comes down to controling the crossover freq.

By the way, I posted a f/w update that increases volume output in the MSI Media Live Diva thread.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

The 6db boost could come in handy for low recorded CD's, if I ever decide to use the PC as the main music system again. But for now, I have plenty of volume for the living room..

I just tried a few more DVD-A's, and they sounded amazing on the Diva Live, as all the other DVD-A's I tried (Do your self a favour and try this. No one would doubt that what they hear is hi-fi )

Now I know the card is capable of delivering great sound, so as for playing "normal" music, it should be a matter of tweaking (the added tools you mention could come in handy if they decide to release them). I did get much better results by just playing arround with crossover freg. and subwoofer level.

I also think I proved that better speakers are not wasted on this system, but no need to waste money on speakers where much of the cost is due to excellent bass response, since this arrea should be handled by a subwoofer. If you were able to boost the bass area, wouldn't it pull to much power?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I pretty much gave up on my Diva for music playback, due to the bass issues you cite. I would dial the bass up to 100% and everything else down to match. That and it has a very digital sound to my ears. (A punchier low end would help mask this) OTOH, Blu-Ray playback has tremendous bass. This tells me that the hardware is more than capable of delivering solid low end. But with CD's or mp3s, it's just not there. I haven't tried the 6db f/w upgrade, so I can't speak to whether that solves the low end issue.But I can't see how it could hurt. What would help this platform the most is an EQ that you could tune to different defaults for different formats. Perhaps with the long awaited F/W update and a new set of drivers they could do this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbhifi /forum/post/17034916

The bad:

The good:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts