AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which of these PCI Express Geforce 6600GTs is the best? They are all around the same price. I plan to overclock and sli.

MSI NX6600GT-TD128E Geforce 6600GT

GIGABYTE GV-NX66T128D

eVGA 128-P2-N368-TX

Leadtek PX6600GT TDH

System Config:

- ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

- AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor

- OCZ Gold Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200)

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I honestly don't think there is much of a difference between them. I've noticed that the GT's from the different mfrs. are closer to Nvidia's specs than previous cards. I bought the Gigabyte simply because I also purchased a Gigabyte mobo at the same time, and have never had problems with them as a company or their products. You may want to check out the customer reviews on Newegg for the cards mentioned. I remember that one of them had a poorly designed fan mount, which overheated the card. I'm pretty sure I saw a good article on the GT's at either Tom or Anandtech as well.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, Anandtech says the leadtek is the fastest, and tom's says the gigabyte (model without fan) is the fastest, but neither one tested the eVGA. I have read that the gigabyte without the fan sometimes has overheating probs, because the heatsinks aren't aligned properly.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Fast? Get the 7800GT. Or, the 7800GTX beats 2 6800GT's in SLI. Do the math...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I know one 7800 beats two 6600s, but I can only afford one 6600 right now. I will buy another in January with my tax return. Two 6600s are about $150 - $200 cheaper than one 7800, and I can buy one at a time. ;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
are you making an HTPC or a gaming box? I assume a gaming box since you would not need to run SLI for an HTPC.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketech
Fast? Get the 7800GT. Or, the 7800GTX beats 2 6800GT's in SLI. Do the math...
There is no sense for him to get the 7800 GT or GTX when his cpu is going to be the bottleneck.

pbmax542,

The EVGA 6600 GT is a great and quiet card, and even comes overclocked.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eng
are you making an HTPC or a gaming box? I assume a gaming box since you would not need to run SLI for an HTPC.
HTPC or gaming box? Can't I have both? :D Yeah, the main reason I need a 6600 is for Battlefield 2, but it will be nice to watch my HD-Dvix files on my Mits Diamond 65". I doubt this thing will be able to play DVDs any better then my Denon 3800. But then again, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83
There is no sense for him to get the 7800 GT or GTX when his cpu is going to be the bottleneck.

pbmax542,

The EVGA 6600 GT is a great and quiet card, and even comes overclocked.
Do you think the AMD 64 3000 Venice, OCed to 2.4 ghz will be a bottleneck for two 6600s in SLI? I could up the ram a little.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmax542
Do you think the AMD 64 3000 Venice, OCed to 2.4 ghz will be a bottleneck for two 6600s in SLI? I could up the ram a little.
With that overclock the performance of two 6600 GTs will definitely not be hindered much by the cpu.

About RAM, the Venice core is capable of maintaining 400 mhz DDR with 4 double-sided modules installed, so adding two more sticks of the same exact RAM should be fine on your system. I hear that the latest games, especially Battlefield 2, run much better with 2 GB RAM rather than 1 GB in that video stutter is eliminated.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice MSmith. A friend of mine who has the eVGA has recommended the Leadtek. He says it runs about 5 degrees cooler, and the fan isn't as noisy. He said he would have gotten it, but newegg was out of stock when he ordered his. One added bonus; the Leadtek comes with more software.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the gigabyte and I like it, no problems so far. I would take a look at the evga since they just started a lifetime warranty that's transferable, and monarchcomputing.com is selling it for

$160 with free shipping and a $30 rebate takes it to $130

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
I got the Gigabyte 6600GT AGP Turbo Force Edition. The Turbo Force Edition is overclocked out of the box at 500MHz Core/1120 MHz Memory. This particular flavor of the card can easily handle higher clock rates comfortably. I have mine set at 540MHz Core/1.2GHz Memory.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Don't forget BFG. They have lifetime warranty.

If you intend to run BF2 on your 65"1080i TV, the 6600GT may be too slow for that res.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketech
Don't forget BFG. They have lifetime warranty.

If you intend to run BF2 on your 65"1080i TV, the 6600GT may be too slow for that res.
The BFG is out of stock at newegg right now, and it is $40 more than the others.

My friend with the eVGA brought his comp over, and we hooked it up to the 65". It handled BF2, but there were no widescreen resolutions. I don't want perminate bars burned into my screen. I won't be playing BF2 on my 65" unless they release a widescreen patch. I had the monitor set to 1776:1000, and the desktop fit the screen perfectly with no overscan.

So far the only card that hasn't been recomended is the MSI. That's funny, because it is the highest rated of the 4 at newegg. I like the warranty on the eVGA, and the speed reviews of the Leadtek. The GIGABYTE scares me because of the numerous reports of poorly placed heatsinks. Would the eVGA's warranty be ruined if I added an after market cooling device?

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmax542
The BFG is out of stock at newegg right now, and it is $40 more than the others.

My friend with the eVGA brought his comp over, and we hooked it up to the 65". It handled BF2, but there were no widescreen resolutions. I don't want perminate bars burned into my screen. I won't be playing BF2 on my 65" unless they release a widescreen patch. I had the monitor set to 1776:1000, and the desktop fit the screen perfectly with no overscan.

So far the only card that hasn't been recomended is the MSI. That's funny, because it is the highest rated of the 4 at newegg. I like the warranty on the eVGA, and the speed reviews of the Leadtek. The GIGABYTE scares me because of the numerous reports of poorly placed heatsinks. Would the eVGA's warranty be ruined if I added an after market cooling device?
You can achieve any resolution in Battlefield 2 by doing the following.

Right-click on a shortcut icon for BF2 -> Next to the install path, type the resolution that you want by typing the command line following the quotation marks "C:\\Program Files\\EA Games\\Battlefield 2\\BF2.exe\\" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1776 +szy 1000

You must play the game by clicking on the shortcut.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I have the eVGA 6600GT in my HTPC - no problems at all, played some madden 2005 and call of duty on it - both look excellent. The stock fan on the eVGA is noisey as hell. I replaced the stock cooler with an Arctic Cooling unit and it is dead silent now.

For my gaming box, just today I bought the following:

AMD X2 3800+

ASUS A8N SLI premium

XFX 7800 GT 256MB

I plan to overclock the 3800+ and see if I can get anandtech speeds of 2.46GHz on air cooling. Also don't plan on going SLI right now but figured I should get an SLI board just in case I change my mind down the road. The 8 SATA ports on the Premium A8N will be nice for my media server hard drives. I plan to do double duty on this rig - gaming / media server for the HTPC.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
I got the Gigabyte 6600GT and it installed and has worked flawlessly from day one in a dual monitor setup. By comparison I just bought the MSI 7800GTX and I haven't been able to get it to recognize the second monitor. I'm really frustrated with MSI's lousy utilitilies too. Case in point, I ran their utility called, "Live Update" which searches the web for new drivers it came back with 4. 4?? Two were for 6800 cards and the other two said, "unknown hardware" and "unknown version". wtf? I'm also running an Asus A8N-SLI mboard and when the 6600GT used to boot it would show a graphic of the mboard and dual vid cards. With the MSI a bunch of garbled text appears instead. My guess is that the MSI is initialized at powerup in text mode or something. I'm thinking of sending the MSI back and getting a Gigabyte instead.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.