AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon me, my good people, but does anyone know how much power consumption this teensy, eensy powercard uses? It's the one with the mighty Lion on the box:

MSI NVIDIA GeForce NX8400GS 256 MB Video Card
http://www.msi.com/product/vga/NX840...l#?div=Feature : it's the one on the left with the horrible-looking gold heat-sink, not the cool one with the lion-graphics on the actual card.

I installed this some time ago on a computer for a friend, and now the computer is having hella-trouble restarting and booting into Windows 7, and I want to eliminate the graphic-card as a possible problem. It's powering a HDTV via component, and a simple monitor via VGA.

The case is on of those cases with a built-in 275watt power supply, unfortunately.

Despite my searching - no specs for power requirements are listed (as far as I can find). Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I'm not sure how much it uses but I had a xfx 8400gs and I ran it off a 250 watt psu with 1 dvd-rw, 1 3.5" 1TB, and the video card with no issues.

Have you tried disconnecting all devices other than the video and boot drive to see if that solves the problem?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info!

I'm slowly working through that.

Disconnected cd-rom, anything usb, scanned hard-drive in other computer for errors with no problems. The only unusual thing was I used Unlocked to delete the Old Windows folders (from pervious installs) and it literally took an entire day to do so for one folder. Not sure if that points to a bad drive, or a bad Unlocker program.

My current two guesses are:

bad hard drive

not enough power.

But reading the hard drive on another computer - no problems (except for the very slow chksdk and Unlocker thing...). I can still access all the folders.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Methinks it might have been the card. Removed it, stuck in one of my extra dvd-drives, and booted right up into the Windows Installation Screen (using Windows Disc), formatted the drive and am now trying a clean installation without the card.

I might be able to get away with not using the card. The Asus MB has an HDMI, VGA and DVI out on it - so I suppose I could get away with using HDMI for the main tv at 720p and VGA for the little rinky-dink work-monitor.

Hopefully it can keep up with live tv.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts