AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Parents, girlfriend or whoever buy stripped version (they don't understand what they are missing out on in the regular version at $399) as gift, then the recipient would realize that they would want one or a few of these:

I bet there is a good chance that MS thought this would make them a ton more money with this strategy in mind.

• Faceplate ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)

• Hard Drive (20 GB) ($99.99, 99.99 Euros, 69.99 GBP)

• Memory Unit (64 MB) ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 22.99 GBP)

• Wireless Networking Adapter ($99.99, 79.99 Euros, 59.99 GBP)

• Wireless Controller ($49.99, 44.99 Euros, 32.99 GBP)

• Play and Charge Kit ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)

• Rechargeable Battery Pack ($11.99, 14.99 Euros, 9.99 GBP)

• Controller ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 24.99 GBP)

• Headset ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)

• Universal Media Remote ($29.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)

• Component HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)

• S-Video AV Cable (US) ($29.99)

• SCART AV Cable (Europe) (24.99 Euros, 17.99 GBP)

• VGA HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup.. they can see one system as $100 more and think "wow, maybe I'll just buy 2 more games instead"

sadly it will cost a LOT more to buy those products separately to equal the $400 standard system.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
While the numbers and stuff do add up, in reality I don't know if it will work that way.

For instance, let's say some parent goes to get their kid a 360. Unknowing of what the differences are between the 2 versions, they decide to go for the cheaper system. However, in doing so they might come to the harsh realization that they'll have to shell out $40 for a memory card, $50 for an extra controller, and $60 for any games their kid might want. This might detract many people from picking up a 360 this holiday season with the additional costs really piling up.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yup, $400 package is a great deal; the extra components included total almost $200 if you picked them up seperately. But a lot of people don't know this. MS didn't want to continue to lose money, and they're almost going to reach that point. They're gonna rake in the cash.

Eventually I think the core package will be discontinued and the premium package dropped to $300. But that won't be for 9-12 months, or when the PS3 launches.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I highly doubt the stripped version will be discontinued.. for the reason that the stripped version will make them more money.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
I highly doubt the stripped version will be discontinued.. for the reason that the stripped version will make them more money.
You might be right..that's something they'd certainly be interested in. I'm just not sure if I see it having two SKUs for its entire lifespan.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
For those that have already preordered... Are we suppposed to now go back and specify which one we want? Or are all launch 360's going to be fully loaded?

I want fully Loaded.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it would suck if all the $399 units were sold out, since the core would cost you more in the long run..

wouldn't surprise me if MS release more core units than hdd units for this purpose.. After all they will be raking it in on peripherals

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocHunter
All the more reasons for me to get the PS3!
Until the PS3 announces that it is $599 and you convert to a Nintendo fan....

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Martin
Until the PS3 announces that it is $599 and you convert to a Nintendo fan....
I am not sure he's going to go off the "HD means nothing to MEEEEEEEEEEE..." cliff.

360/PS3: Every HT should have them BOTH!

The $300 one will save me a few bucks. My son will want one for XMas. So I'll buy him one, either hand him my 20G HD and buy myself a larger one or just get him a $40 mem card.

So my cost for him is $340 max.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
100 bux for a 20gig drive? Those run 20 bux now. M$ is crazy. I thought we were beyond this memory card mess and 64 megs that is so ps1 :mad:

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
" bet MOST people (techies, wives, the uninformed) will buy the $399 version...mark my words."

i would imagine the opposite, especially if buying as a gift.. thinking they could get 2 games and the core for the same price.. not realizing the value isn't nearly as good

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidML3
100 bux for a 20gig drive? Those run 20 bux now. M$ is crazy. I thought we were beyond this memory card mess and 64 megs that is so ps1 :mad:
I'm hating everything MS is doing now with the tiering, making the HD worthless.

But whoever says 2.5" HD are cheap are wrong. Go to Pricegrabber or Pricewatch. 2.5" HD are much more expensive than 3.5" HD's that we have in our PCs.

20GB goes for $65 and up.

And memory cards???? That is so PS2!!!!

·
Registered
504 Posts
I would imagine retailer profit margins will be higher on the $399 version in order in encourage them to push the more expensive boxes. MS is losing a lot on the $299 package so the price gouging on the accessories doesn't suprise me.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Are all those prices official?

I think that it is great that they have such a small streamlined wireless adapter that only needs to be plugged into the USB port but they are still charging $100 for it. MS is certainly looking to turn a healthy profit on accessories.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Why shouldn't they turn a healthy profit? That's the point of business. Imagine a plumber coming to your house and charging you only what it costs to buy the parts and then not even charging enough on the parts.

I know with consoles they make money on software but if you look at the bottom lines of these consoles they are on such a razor thin line now that something has to be done if we are to continue to have consoles in the future.

Do we really want Xbox to go the way of Dreamcast? As it is now there really aren't many companies left willing to make a console unless they have big bucks.

Don't you guys want choices?

It's the mindset that some of you have that have made Walmart the richest company in the world and sent jobs to 3rd world countries for 10 cents an hour.

100 bucks is NOT that much a difference and you can get one that's a hundred less. MS is actually giving you the choice.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Do we really want Xbox to go the way of Dreamcast?
No it's more like the sega saturn, microsoft is slowly making that same mistake!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.