AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something I’ve noticed with the statements minis and also the titan 615, with the MT arrangement if your ear is below the tweeter level the sound is dramatically different. At or above the tweeter level the sound is brighter but not just brighter, but more open and detailed, better imaging/depth and just overall better. Below the tweeter, duller, flatter, the adjectives are failing me but you get the idea. Comb filtering vertical polar effect I guess? Anyway took a few mins and added more rubber feet to the back of the MT section of the Titans and it’s a huge improvement. My seat is low, reclining lounge chair so it’s lower than the speaker was designed for. Anyway had 1/8” feet on front and 1/4” on back, added another 1/8” foot to the back.

It’s a very cool feature of the modular design in general but to be able to tweak the vertical aiming makes a big difference. The dual woofer 615/818 gets discussed but I wonder how a titan MTM would be.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I always just used the wedged shape rubber door stoppers to angle my center channel as they can be fine tuned along with a cheap pen style laser pointer and builders square or similar to pin point the ear level (or vertical plane) as close as possible.
Just watch that it's not on the tipping point so you may have to anchor it to the module below.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I think I should give this a try on my 1099 center channel. Ever since walling up where a large set of windows with blinds on them was on the couch wall of my livingroom, my ability to hear dialog has suffered. Until I can get some large room treatments up on that wall where the windows used to be, I wonder if tilting my center back a bit may help.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Something I’ve noticed with the statements minis and also the titan 615, with the MT arrangement if your ear is below the tweeter level the sound is dramatically different. At or above the tweeter level the sound is brighter but not just brighter, but more open and detailed, better imaging/depth and just overall better. Below the tweeter, duller, flatter, the adjectives are failing me but you get the idea.
How far below the tweeter do you mean.. inches, or a foot +?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Just so I understand clearly, you added an 1/8" spacer to the wave guide to angle it down, and it made a huge difference? an 1/8"?? I have thought about doing this as my tweeters are above ear level as well, but I'v never tried it. I didn't think that little bit would make a difference.

What about flipping the wave guide so the tweeter is on the bottom and the 6" driver on the top? Any disadvantage to that?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How far below the tweeter do you mean.. inches, or a foot +?
Inches. I'd have to measure but the tweeter center is just above ear level at my seat. I had 1/8" of tilt before and added another 1/8"

Just so I understand clearly, you added an 1/8" spacer to the wave guide to angle it down, and it made a huge difference? an 1/8"?? I have thought about doing this as my tweeters are above ear level as well, but I'v never tried it. I didn't think that little bit would make a difference.

What about flipping the wave guide so the tweeter is on the bottom and the 6" driver on the top? Any disadvantage to that?
Yes very noticeable difference, the sound opens up, imaging is better, clarity is better. Try it and see what you think. You can easily play with this by starting with your ear below the tweeter level and then slowly raise your head and listen to the difference. I first noticed this when I would sit down on the couch with the mini statements and the sound was different.

I thought about the flipping idea but it would move the tweeter a lot lower, I don't see any harm in playing with it but just tilting the upper section worked too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts