AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my DD/GG and I guess now I want to determine how much mudding and taping I want to get done. I think it and carpet may be the only things I don't do myself. It's just not worth it.

Anyway, I do plan on putting a soffit that will house HVAC, can lights, and low voltage around the room (it has no openings other than doors and three HVAC holes).

So I realized that when I get my final acoustical plan for room treatments, I may only need to be finishing drywall on the soffits and the ceiling. It seems like a waste to pay the guys to do walls that won't be covered and/or do it now, and then have to have them back to do the sides of the soffits or some such.

However, I also don't know how integral the process is to sealing the room. I did use Silenseal on the seams (even between layers of DD). Unfortunately we didn't do the best stagger arrangement when doing the DD, as I did wall-ceiling-celing-wall, rather than ceiling-wall-ceiling-wall, so I may have slightly sub-optimal sealing around the seams.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Your seals are likely fine so long as you caulked. I would finish the soffets before you hire someone to do the finish work. In my case, in the theater i only had my pro finish the ceiling. My walls and soffets will be covered. I will paint as soon as the soffets are done, but before treatments are up.

In order for me to know what treatments I need, Bryan wants me to have the stage built, platform built and the chairs in place so that we can do some audio testing.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder if I should slap some mud and tape around myself on the areas under the soffit that won't be seen anyway.

I would prefer not use Duct Tape :p

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBuster /forum/post/15547199

I wonder if I should slap some mud and tape around myself on the areas under the soffit that won't be seen anyway.

I would prefer not use Duct Tape :p

I just only now read that thread. Classic!!

And yes, go ahead and just caulk the seam that will be inside the soffit. I assume it will be a solid soffit, right?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no idea.

It will be whatever Bryan tells me it is. :p

Perhaps he wants me to put something in there and cover with GOM?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I did not mud any of my room as that was my thinking also. I caulked both layers of Sheetrock before I covered it up with my wall treatments. I didn't finish my soffets either because I'm going to be covering them up as well. Also the ceiling is going to get fiber optic star panels so no mud there
made drywall a snap once it was in place

1 - 6 of 6 Posts