AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my AVR-235 for about 4 years now, and I've just been using some 2 bookshelf speakers for sound without any problems. I just recently bought the Klipsch HDT300B 5.1 theatre speaker set and the center channel just sounds muffled no matter where the signal is coming from, DVD player or cable box. I've tried another center speaker that I had and it produces the same sound.

Here's what I've tried without any luck

Tested multiple center speakers.

Replaced the wires

Reset the AVR to factory defaults

Tried adjusting the center channel volume.

No luck...sound is coming out, but just sounds horrible and am being forced to just use Dobly Digital 2 speaker mode for now.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Where is the center speaker located? On a shelf? In a cabinet? On a stand? Is it aimed directly at your ears? Have you calibrated all speaker levels to 75 dB SPL?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see where in this receiver you can set the speaker levels to 75 db SPL. I can set the speakers to large or small....which they are currently set to small. I can indivually set the volume for each speaker, but it only goes from -10 to 10 db levels.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itguy79 /forum/post/18299310

I don't see where in this receiver you can set the speaker levels to 75 db SPL. I can set the speakers to large or small....which they are currently set to small. I can indivually set the volume for each speaker, but it only goes from -10 to 10 db levels.

You need something like a Radio Shack SPL meter to measure it. You need to calibrate your speakers so that each one puts out 75 dB SPL. Just setting them all to zero or some other number doesn't do it. Your owner's manual will explain how to do it.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itguy79 /forum/post/18299310

Have you run the EzSetup procedure listed on p. 23 of your Owners Manual? It will automatically balance all speakers likely using a 75db test tone to save you the trouble of buying an SPL meter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did the EZ setup, it actually seemed to have made the center speaker sound even worse. It really seemed to turn up the volume on the speaker making it sound very muffled. I am currently only using 3.1 speakers since I have not run the 2 surrounds yet. Does this make a difference?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts