AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These fan mufflers look to be very effective. He does a before / after using a Vantec Tornado to demonstrate. This is a ~55 decibel fan.

http://www.3dgameman.com/vr/muffled_...eo_review.html

I imagine these would help to muffle the video card / processor fans too, as a lot of the noise from those escapes through the power supply and case fan areas.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EricN, did you even watch the review? They are actually external mufflers, not just 'sound batting.' Also, the effect was VERY noticeable (you watch him put it on and hear the noise level drop significantly).

I don't need them myself, as I modded my video card to be fanless (Zalman kit), upgraded to a thermoregulated 430W Antec, and thermoregulate the case fans which are Panaflos. Just thought this link might be helpful to somebody who would actually look at the review.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Very, very imcomplete review.

Yes it works on an uber-noisy fan, but what about fans that are already fairly quiet? Also you can hear the pitch of the fan change as he places the muffler in position. That indicates a reduction in air-flow efficiency. Try putting your hand over any fan in your pc and you'll hear the pitch go up. So the performance is probably lessened. How much? Again, the review is too brief.

The mufflers themselves give your case another 5-6" in required depth. That's not gonna work for many people.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.