AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Update: September 13, 2010 release date confirmed for the U.K.

~~~

Sure, it might not be YOUR movie of the last ten years, but apparently at least five different critic groups and film organizations selected it as #1 for the years '00-'09.

In any case, it's confirmed to be coming out sometime this year on Blu-ray:

Quote:
French distributor StudioCanal has produced a trailer to promote its Blu-ray catalog of classic movies from the StudioCanal Collection. Apart from the titles already released, the studio encourages us to "look out for more titles in 2010." Two upcoming films are specifically featured and mentioned in the trailer: Michael Powell's Peeping Tom and David Lynch's Mulholland Drive.

It's in my top ten of the last decade, and is definitely worth checking out if you are into unconventional films.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
It looks really nice on D-Theater tape.

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^^ Hopefully no spoilers are posted for people who have yet to see it, but I suggest watching it a few times to see if some of the themes start to make more sense.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
One of my favorites. I'm not hoping for much as far as the blu-ray goes but hopefully it's at least decent.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenUK /forum/post/18162164

Its a good but odd film.

Would love for someone to explain it all to me...

There are volumes written about this movie.

Check in the Movie forum.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had thee US DVD but also bought the French Studio Canal DVD release because it had interviews, making-ofs etc - however, the PQ on the French release was markedly inferior to the US release. Hope they don't use the same master for their Blu-Ray. Great movie, Lynch's best !

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, the U.S. DVD is perhaps the most barebones flick I have. There are no extras and it doesn't even have a chapter select. I'm looking forward to seeing what they include in this one.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow /forum/post/18162978

Yeah, the U.S. DVD is perhaps the most barebones flick I have. There are no extras and it doesn't even have a chapter select. I'm looking forward to seeing what they include in this one.

Wasn't the HD-DVD import the same? No chapter select? I think that was the only thing that stopped me from importing it and upgrading my DVD copy.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Lynch abhors chapter stops and specifically requests that they not be included on video releases of his films. He reasons that his films "aren't books" and should be taken in as a whole.

Not saying I agree with him either way, but that's the explanation for their absence.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
I read that Lynch purposefully softened/blurred/darkened the genital area nudity of Laura Elena Harring in the DVD to protect her from embarrassment from screencaps, but I don't know if he would do that with the Blu-Ray, as it would be more obvious, I would think.

As for Lynch and Blu-Ray, I can't imagine that INLAND EMPIRE would benefit much from Blu-Ray, as the non-HD videocamera used to film it has a resolution about on par with what SD DVDs do, though I guess a Blu-Ray might eliminate some of the ringing that I read is a consequence of the MPEG encoding formula used for SD DVDs.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow /forum/post/18163182

I would actually put this on my worst of the decade list.

I'd have to watch this again since it's been so long but "movie of the decade" is a joke.

Wild at Heart was better than Mulholland Dr., imo.

·
Registered
404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss /forum/post/18163647

I read that Lynch purposefully softened/blurred/darkened the genital area nudity of Laura Elena Harring in the DVD to protect her from embarrassment from screencaps, but I don't know if he would do that with the Blu-Ray, as it would be more obvious, I would think.

It was blurred on the HD-DVD too.

·
Registered
588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenUK /forum/post/18162164

Would love for someone to explain it all to me...

On my 3rd viewing, the pieces started coming together. When I saw it the 4th time, it all made sense. There is no point me trying to explan it, since they are all over the Internet.

It is one of my favorite movies of all-time. Assuming that they don't mess up the BD, I will definitely buy it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
The french HDDVD at least was uncensored. The US DVD was "edited for content". I hate the way they butcher DVDs here in the states, hopefully we'll get full uncencored version on Blu-ray

·
Registered
7,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_o_p /forum/post/18167643

The french HDDVD at least was uncensored. The US DVD was "edited for content". I hate the way they butcher DVDs here in the states, hopefully we'll get full uncencored version on Blu-ray

Really? What was censored or edited in the SD DVD of Mulholland Drive? I don't recall seeing those words anywhere on the box or when viewing the film. I guess I'll have to look at the box again.

Neither of the reviews at DVD Talk mention that it's been edited.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic /forum/post/18164458

It was blurred on the HD-DVD too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_o_p /forum/post/18167643

The french HDDVD at least was uncensored.

I have the UK HD DVD, and I can tell you that it was censored. I sincerely doubt the French HD DVD transfer is any different, so how sure of that statement are you?

1 - 20 of 133 Posts