AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I know this movie came out a long time ago, but I just finally rented it. First thought, this is one weird ass movie. Second though, this one weird ass movie.

After watching this movie and thinking about it last night and this morning, I have come to conclusion that I have no idea what the movie was abouit.

I mean up to the point where they find the blue box in the purse (okay how did it get there?) the movie made sense, but after Rita opens the box, I have no idea what happened.

Spoiler Space

Okay, I looked the movie up in the internet to see if there was an explanation and what I read is basically that the whole movie was a masturbation day dream of the blond girl (Betty\\Diane) who has Rita killed and at the end kills herself in guilt. Is this the basic thrust?

If so, were the parts where Diane goes out with her famous friend Rita\\Camilla real life or another part of the daydream. In other words was Rita actually famous and dating the director or was this sort of dream inside a dream.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The best online explanation is here:
http://archive.salon.com/ent/movies/...rive_analysis/

But here's my recap version.....

***SPOILER WARNING***

(but I guess that should go without saying!)

Diane and Camilla were lovers. Camilla was a popular starlet.... and wasn't the most faithful thing in the world. She toyed with Diane a bit too much.... embarrassing here publicly, etc.

Diane hired a man to kill Camilla. The hit man said he's place a blue key on here coffee table when it was done.

When Diane wakes on the morning of the REALITY part of the movie.... (after Club Silencio)..... she realizes what she has done. Really what she's done.

In her moments of sinking madness.... scenes from the above mentioned reality flash through her mind... the humiliation, the rejection, and the romance. Diane falls victim to her demons.... hurries to her bed .... {BLINK}..... reaches for the gun.... and kills herself.

Now.... see that blink? It's in that instant that the entire first 3/4 of the movie actually takes place.

You'll note that right at the very beginning of the movie.... you see a brief glimpse of Diane's red sheets and pillow.

In this micro-second reality..... Diane has become the young, attractive ingénue that she's always wanted to be. Fresh off the bus..... ready to take Hollywood by storm. She becomes BETTY.

Her dream world incorporates her lover Camilla into a new incarnation.... she becomes RITA. Creating a dream romance out of people, places, and events that she's experienced.

The limo ride to the party on Mulholland Drive and her hiring the hit man.... transform into Rita's experience.

The money in Rita's purse is the money that Diane paid to have Camilla killed.

The Hollywood love of Camilla..... transforms into some sort of sinister "mafia-esque" plot to have her hired.

The blue box..... is just something of a Pandora's Box... to go along with the blue key the hit man leaves.

The Cowboy, I think, is nothing more than an odd site stuck in her brain from the humiliating dinner party. Likewise is the director's mother..... resurfacing as the Landlady.

I believe that the "creature" behind the diner.... is a mix of a homeless vagrant that lived behind the diner that Diane worked..... and the inner demon of the evil that she's committed.

The discovery of "Diane",... dead in her bed.... is nothing more than an understanding of what she's ultimately about to do.

Club Silenco.... (to me) is just the culmination of her (& OUR!) understanding it all. "We hear a band... yet there is no band." A way of saying.... nothing you've been experiencing is real. It's all been a dream.

Betty opens the box.... and the dream skews back to reality..... and Diane fires the shot.

Silenco.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
We've done MD a couple times here on AVS and there are some loooong threads... do a search and you'll find them!! I have my opinions about the story, definitely...

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Here's my take on MH:

DL put together a pilot for TV. It got rejected. He added some only tangentially realated material - including hot lesbian scenes, always a good way to attract attention - and released it as a movie. He didn't even try to make it all tie together or edit the pilot material in any way. He just threw it out there.

However, he's got some very creative fans. And just as people can see images in clouds or ink blots, they've come up with theories to try and make sense of this complete mess known as Mullhulland Drive.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
i read a review a while back that said that this movie is basically lynch's portrayal of the hollywood system, how there are politics at play, dreams made and shattered, people who thrive on and are beaten down by the "system". Maybe the gangsters are the bean counters who butt heads with visionaries who could care less. maybe in a real world it takes both to make it work, sometimes it does and sometimes not. one thing is for sure, this is not a straightforward story and if you try to make complete sense of it you are doomed. but if you like a movie to raise questions(hopefully valid) without giving the answers then this is your ticket.

personally i liked it. i didn't say i understood it, but i liked it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Let me say this regarding Mulholland Drive:

"You'll see it one more time if you do good, and you'll see it two more times if you do bad."

Actually, I saw it and Vanilla Sky back to back one afternoon and I think I broke my brain.

I think I will go have an Espresso now while I wait for Customer Support

Regards,

Matt

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
If you do a search you will find pages about this film. Salmoneous is basically right. Although very well done and creapy, the film is basically a cheat and a mess. Actually I find the expainations amusing.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Jonathan Valin's article in The Pefect Vision does a great job of explaining the dreamy logic of this movie. I realized early on we were in a dream, but I thought we were in Rita's dream (I thought after the accident, when she collpased outside the apartment building, that when she "woke" up was when the dream began). JV's big insight (at least for me) was to suggest that the entire beginning of the movie is Betty/Diane's dream, even though we hadn't met her at that point (except in the title sequence). Lynch throws us into a dream without first meeting the dreamer.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate everyone insight, and the explanation that Salon has makes a lot of sense. The real question is how does the ordinary joe figure out this movie without reading the Clff notes

One further question, the guy who dreams about the diner and the monster behind it, I dont understand the point of that scene

·
Registered
154 Posts
Maybe this is just my take on it - but the monster behind the diner is Betty/Diane's guilt for hiring someone to kill her lover.

It's the horrible, ugly truth of what she's done.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Either way you look at it, its a thought provoking, yet wackky movie. ;)

Jessica

·
Registered
28,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Hutnicki
I appreciate everyone insight, and the explanation that Salon has makes a lot of sense. The real question is how does the ordinary joe figure out this movie without reading the Clff notes
Simply put, this is not a movie for Ordinary Joe. He should go rent Armageddon again.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, I am not an ordinary Joe, but until I looked for some info concerning this movie, I honestly had no idea what was happening after the blue box was opened and to be quite honest, anyone who able to figure any part of this movie out is either a genius or paranoid (i mean that in a good way:)

·
Registered
28,098 Posts
Mulholland Drive is actually the most straightforward of Lynch's "difficult" movies. It's about 1/4 as complex as Lost Highway.

Give it a second viewing and the pieces should start to fall into place. The ending makes more sense when you watch from the beginning and look for clues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.