AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here is the situation.

I have built 4 DIY subs and am using two bass shakers. Now I need to upgrade my amplification. I bought a Behringer 2 channel amp to drive 2 of the subs.

That still leaves me needing 4 channels of amplification for my other two subs and my two buttkickers. I have an old Marantz receiver I am using right now, but am looking to upgrade to a dedicated amplifier. Any recommendations for a decent budget multichannel amp? I guess I could buy two more Behringers, but this is starting to take up a lot of room in the rack.

Any recomendations?

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you're into DIY you could try a few of the UCD modules. They're supposedly good with low impedance loads, such as a sub. The multichannel powersupply is $195 which powers up to 5 of the ucd400's which are 400 watts into 4ohms, 200 into 8 and cost about $150 a pop. Then you'd just need to add modules as needed, for the buttkickers you could probably even use the ucd 180's which are 180 into 4ohms, and cost under $100 each module. So say, 2 ucd 400s, multichannel ps, 2 ucd 180s, and a transformer, plus have the room for one more channel down the road for about $800. Not a bad option, might be a bit more than you want to spend though, what's your budget?

Tristan

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice! Somehow missed the buttkicker amp sale. (I live about 20 minutes from the partsexpress retail location, so I can go pick them up today!).

Tom

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oops. Just read further and checked out the flyer--car amps as noted above. I will check out the other recommendations.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I'd second the motion on buying the Buttkicker BKA-1000's...particularly for the shakers. They need beucoup horsepower and the load on them necessitates some serious juice. The Behringer A-500's mentioned are great amps for the $$ (I have 5 of them) but they won't run anything below 8 ohms bridged. 2 of the BK-1000's would do the trick and won't eat up too much rack space.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.