AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I puchased a Sony 52W3000 last month so now the money hemorage has begun as I start to upgrade the audio system to match this outstanding TV.

I currently have excellent front speakers and an old but outstanding sub-woofer. I plan to use an in-wall Polk TC2651 (or similar) for a center speaker mounted just above the 52W3000.

The configuration of our family room and my wife are both very unfriendly with respect to locating surround and rear speakers. As a result, I am thinking about in-ceiling speakers. We have a high 12' ceiling. The distance from the TV/front speakers to the seating location is just over 12'.

-Do the surround and rear speakers need to be very high quality units or will moderate quality/expense units such as the two way Polk RC651 (6.5") or RC851 (8") be sufficient?

- My thoughts are to mount the surround speakers in the 12' ceiling directly above the seating location and the rear speakers about 6 feet behind the surround speakers. Is this solution viable or am I really wasting my time with this proposed configuration?

-The DVD player/Tivo/etc. all are connected directly to the TV. I am driving my Pioneer VSX-D912 Multi-Channel Receiver with the variable audio out from the TV. Does this variable audio out single include the surround sound coding delivered to the TV by the DVD player or is it just a simple two channel stereo signal?

It has been well over fifteen years since I focused on my audio systems so I have long since lost a feel for the equipment and the fine points of configuring it.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I have not heard these inwall speakers, but in my experience, get the best sounding speakers you can afford. You will have to live with them for a long time and if they are of high quality, you will not have to change them for a long time.

The surround speakers should be slightly behind and slightly above the seating position, while the rear speakers should obviously be located behind these. Dolby has a nice speaker set up instruction tutorial somewhere in this forum.

Variable audio out is generally two channel only.

Keep reading and asking questions on this forum, there are a number of knowledgeable people here.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts