Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm looking for a good multi-channel DAC (6-8 channels).

I'm aware of products like those of Apogee, but these pro gear pieces are (a) v expensive and (b) offer lots of functionality I don't need.

Anybody know anything in the high end consumer or prosumer product lines?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
What exactly is it that you're trying to do? Where will you get a multi-channel digital input from that will be fed to the DACs?

Other than Meridian, Denon and Pioneer solutions there aren't products on the market which pass more than 2 channels of PCM (or DSD) data for D/A conversion, and all of these are encrypted.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
John,

MSB decoder has multiple S/PDIF digital outputs...:) But I don't know any consumer multichannel DAC with multiple S/PDIF digital inputs other than you mentioned...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am probably going to use a meridian or an MSB take the output, pass it through a z systems rdq6 then out to a multichannel DAC and on to the speakers.

just a HT version of an architecture v common in high end audio - no?

:)

pete

I can of course use several 2 channel dacs, but figured a multichannel might be cheaper and more convenient

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
jheo,

The MSB outputs are in MSB Network format, don't know if they will be decodable by anybody else's equipment.

Regards,

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Pete,

I don't think this is currently doable......

The only solution that might come close is Meridian, digital out of a 568.2 or 861, into the RDQ-6. Not exactly affordable.

For the money you're about to spend have you considered Tact Audio as another alternative?

Regards,

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi john

I have the rdq6 so that is a sunk cost

can probably pick up a 561 for around 2k

with a reasonably priced multichannel dac it's still quite a bit cheaper i think

but would i go this way again - no way!

pete

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
John,

Thank you for your reply. But that MSB MDP 3x decoder manual says any outboard DAC can be connected to MDP 3x. I wonder what is the truth now...:)

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Jaehoon,

Sorry I was confusing the MDP-3x with a different item, their modification to DVD players to output upsampled PCM data.

Yeah, in theory the MDP could do that, but frankly, given the incremental costs incurred, I just don't see the solution itself as being viable.

Not to mention, what's going to control the volume in all this?

Regards,

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
John,

I agree with you on that. And it doesn't support DVD-A and SACD either, yet. But MSB has multichannel volume controller/preamp named MVC...:) What a product line!! :)

Regarding DVD mod, Do they have DVDA/SACD player mod for digital output? I am also very interested.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
They have mods for DVD-A players digital output, tied to their Link DACs in various flavors.

The player mod is about $400, plus the cost of 3 of their Link DACs ($400 and up).

The cost of the cables (good old Cat 5) is irrelevant, and I'm not buying Monster's network cables for better throughput ;)

My point is that you're making the system increasingly complex -- at some point you have to say "It's too difficult to implement and use", at which point you save your $$$ and get a real digital solution like the Tact TCS and/or a solution from Meridian.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Yup, I agree. That's a complex system, and especially remote problem would be a hell, even though there is enough money to burn.

Probably, one who wants to use this kind of system thanshould go with following:

Digital players(DVD/CD/DVHS) +

pure digital decoder +

high-end or professional DAC +

Bel Canto or Accuphase multichannel pre +

5 ~ 10 monoblock amplifiers +

5 ~ 10 high-end speakers.

Looks still crazy...:)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hi guys

the msb unit willwork fine with it - this i have checked

the rdq6 handles volume

the history of all this kinda interesting.

I spoke with z systems about this and when z-systems brought out this product they did so because they were assured by theta, meridian etc that they would be providing discrete digtal outputs and that it would be possible to loop back into the DACs

this did not happen, so now it is kind of a powerful orphan child product which they have actually discontinued.

I know that the system you describe looks kinda crazy, but is it really that crazy? after all, it is very smiliar to that employed in high end audio systems. we have a transport / decoder/ signal processing in chain if required /then seperate DAC. If we hypothesise that this is a good architecture for hgh end audio then why not for HT -after all, we want good audio for that to don't we? and if anything it is harder to set up a room for HT and sophisticated equalization is, if anything, even more necessary than for regular audio. And this architecture allows you to do all equalization in the digital domain.

On the cost issue - no argument here. It's expensive.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
by the way - any suggestions for multichannel dacs or am I going to be stacking regular dacs?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Pete,

Repeat after me....

There are no multi-channel DACs yet :D

You have to stack pairs of channels.

Hopefully the RDQ-6 has greater than 24bit internal operation, so that it can handle volume control digitally without sacrificing resolution.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Pete,

As you already guessed, the pro audio world is where you're going to find multi-channel DACs, but the prices may be a bit beyond your budget. If you do look, Benchmark Audio make very good multi-channel DACs, up to 8 channels.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Andre,

I'm not too familiar with the pro audio market. If Pete did go with a Pro audio multi-channel DAC would he have interfacing issues?

I see the Z systems RDQ-6 has 3 AES/EBU and 3 S/PDIFs, so maybe not.

Also, Z Systems says they have an RDAC-6 which could do D/A conversion for 6 channels. I don't know if this is still true or not, as I've never tried to contact them to discuss their products.

Regards,

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hi john

the rdac-6 never made it to market

some pro audio products are fine (AES/EBU is pretty common) but many use things like light pipe and are a problem

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hi andre

yep

it's just more $

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.