AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I had a 7.1 speaker system using a HD-A2 player outputting via HDMI is it possible to get 7.1 audio out of my receiver (Pioneer VSX-82TXS)? I guess I want to know if a 7.1 speaker setup has any advantage over a 5.1 using a HD DVD player or is 7.1 only usable for stereo inputs?

If there is an advantage then I have the extra speakers to do 7.1.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D /forum/post/0

If I had a 7.1 speaker system using a HD-A2 player outputting via HDMI is it possible to get 7.1 audio out of my receiver (Pioneer VSX-82TXS)? I guess I want to know if a 7.1 speaker setup has any advantage over a 5.1 using a HD DVD player or is 7.1 only usable for stereo inputs?

I can't answer your first question, Robert. However, having listened to both 7.1 and 5.1 systems, It will ultimately come down to quality vs. quantity. Or, if you have the equipment, you get both. Me, I am very happy with my 5.1 set up and haven't really gotten into the extra surround speakers. I say that now, anyway......The bug has been known to bite when you least expect it

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yes, there are receivers that can do this. Check out the receiversMo forum and look for a stick with PCM audio, then go to level 6.

Just about all HD DVD and Blu-ray movies are 5.1 which will be sent to your receiver as 5.1 PCM. The level 6 receivers can take 5.1 PCM and apply 7.1 processing.

I have one BD title, "The Descent", that is actually 7.1 PCM on the disc and my Denon 2807 confirms this showing 7.1 multi-channel in.

7.1 provides a little more immersion and I notice the surrounds a lot more now.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Pioneer 84Txsi does all of what you would like it to do. The other cool feature (which I am sure other receivers do also) is being able to layer ProLogic IIx over a 5.1 pcm signal. Thus you get 7.1 sound from a 5.1 track.

I just watched King Kong HD DVD and the rear steering is pretty incredible.

I also have a couple of Blu Ray players and they all output up to 7.1 channels. Not a lot of discs yet, but they will start coming.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayselle /forum/post/0

Yes, there are receivers that can do this. Check out the receiversMo forum and look for a stick with PCM audio, then go to level 6.

Just about all HD DVD and Blu-ray movies are 5.1 which will be sent to your receiver as 5.1 PCM. The level 6 receivers can take 5.1 PCM and apply 7.1 processing.

I have one BD title, "The Descent", that is actually 7.1 PCM on the disc and my Denon 2807 confirms this showing 7.1 multi-channel in.

7.1 provides a little more immersion and I notice the surrounds a lot more now.

Hey thanks. I was considering the Denon 2807 since it seems to handle the LFE with a PCM input better than most receivers.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have the 2807 and love it. It's been 6 years since my last receiver and I though it was a breeze to set up.

·
Premium Member
9,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D /forum/post/0

Yes - most receivers allow you to enable DTS NEO6 or the Dolby version, IIx, which takes 5.1 channels and "creates" the extra channels.

Also, some HD DVD soundtracks are 6.1, which works very nicely with a 7.1 system. DTS ES or Dolby EX decoding get the extra channel info.

I've been 7.1 from DVD days, before HD DVD came along, and have always preferred it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.