AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question: Can I properly play SACD multichannel software in a stereo SACD player? Should not, what exactly are the limitations or problems involved?

I am awaiting for a SONY DVP-S9000ES CD/DVD player that I recently purchased from AVS fellow Tom Bilen (incidentally, a great guy to make business with!). Now, as far as I know, the multi-channel SACDs will not play on stereo

SACD players, and it happens to be that the unit I purchased is intended only for stereo SACD software.

Can you help me clarify this? :)

Thanks a lot!

J.V. Gomez

·
Registered
733 Posts
"Can I properly play SACD multichannel software in a stereo SACD player?"

Yes.

·
Registered
799 Posts
JV, if you look at the back of the SACD case you should see a rectangular box saying multichannel (MC) &/or stereo. So far the MC SACD software (mostly Sony) I have all has both so I presume you can play them and get exactly what it says - stereo on a stereo SACD player.

PF

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes it can. I do this all the time.

Lee

·
Registered
755 Posts
Every multichannel SACD has a separate, dedicated stereo track for compatibility with two-channel equipment. The 9000ES will play this track.

Bitkahuna, you are correct, the 9000ES is not a multichannel player.

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
About half the MC SACD's I own sound better in stereo anyway....

·
Registered
842 Posts
Not exactly true.

I have two multichannel hybrid disks. The last 2 tracks on both

of these disks will only play in a multichannel player. A stereo only

player will not find or play those tracks.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to you all, fellows, for the clarifications.

So, I conclude that, in virtually all cases, the multichannel SACDs can be read/played by a stereo SACD player, by virtue of the stereo SACD track built-in the disk.

I posted the same question at Audio Asylum and got the same answers.

J.V.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Kevin, those hybrid discs can be played on regular CD players though. I have two of them one by Chesky & another First Impression.

PF

·
Registered
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by J.V. Gomez
Thanks to you all, fellows, for the clarifications.

So, I conclude that, in virtually all cases, the multichannel SACDs can be read/played by a stereo SACD player, by virtue of the stereo SACD track built-in the disk.

I posted the same question at Audio Asylum and got the same answers.

J.V.
I wonder :

- if 5.1 SACD's containing 2.0 SACD compatbility have a basic 2CH track with some extra differential stream for the center, sub and rears (one mix)

- or are they really 2 completely separate streams that can also be mixed differently ?

With most SACD's sourced from Sony I noticed that the 2ch SACD version is mixed completely different, whereas with third party software you can easily spot improvements because of the added DSD bandwidth, but you won't hear a total different mix optimised to make SACD shine in A/B tests (juk).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David Panko
Frederic, the 2-ch track is a separate, dedicated track which is specifically mixed for stereo in the studio.

On DVD-A's the stereo mix can be generated by the player as a fold-down of the 5.1 mix (which makes most recording engineers cringe). SACD's always use a separate track.

See the Sony website for more info:
http://interprod5.imgusa.com/son-403/multichannel.asp

Cheers,

Dave.
Thanks for the interesting link. One issue though : when will they introduce time alignment in SACD hardware ?

Quote:
From the sony site :

The following adjustments are offered through the multi-channel management system:

Bass Redirection

Based on the speaker configuration and the frequency response of each of the speakers in the system (“small†or largeâ€), low frequency signals can be redirected to a subwoofer in the system.

Channel Level Adjustment

Channel levels can be adjusted to optimize the distance from the listening position.

Channel Balance Adjustment

Level balance between the front/surround and front/center can be adjusted.

I'm currently using the Tag Mc Laren av32r, which basically limits me to go 5.1 analog. I'm still hoping we will see a digital interlink standard for DSD in the next two years so we can buy a high-end pre/pro combined with a simple SACD player used as transport.

Why ? The idea of buying duplicate functionality in multiple boxes annoys me (e.g. bass management, high quality DSD/PCM dacs, good analog stage) ...

·
Registered
755 Posts
Hi Frederic,

The digital interface standard for SACD is IEEE-1394 with DTCP (Digital Transmission Content Protection) and it's already used on the dCS gear.

The CE firms are ready to include this interface on consumer level SACD players, but the record companies haven't agreed to it yet (still in Napster-shock). I expect the RIAA will continue to delay a digital interface for both SACD and DVD-A, regardless of its security.

Cheers,

Dave.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.