AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like all kinds of music, but I love soundtracks. A few years ago, when SACD was looking promising, I was lucky enough to purchase a few soundtracks in this format.

-- Titanic

-- A Beautiful Mind

-- and in DVD-A, The Lord of the Rings

And now we have Blu Ray. Music is created for theater/BD movies in high definition and multi channel format. But, how is the soundtrack released? Two channel CD.

If the music is already engineered in high def multi channel, why isn't it released that way?

sorry. just felt like ranting about this.

Marcus

·
Registered
10,262 Posts
You make a good point. But just like SACD, DVD-A, using Blu-ray for hi-rez music seems mostly confined in the minds of the studios to concerts.

Hopefully, you'll get your wish in the near future & we'll see ALL kinds of multichannel music released. But I'm not holding my breath. The studios, just like with downloadable music, seem to be missing the boat (with apologies to Titanic
)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I had Bought the "AI" Soundtrack years ago altho I have never listened to it..I think it was a DVD-A tho. I am going to give it a listen tomorrow..

What other Soundtracks are out there in SACD and DVD-A??

·
Registered
8,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pilot /forum/post/18257445

...If the music is already engineered in high def multi channel, why isn't it released that way?...

Producing/engineering in multichannel is the easy part. The hard parts are what format to use (SA-CD (rare players and abandoned by Sony), DVD-A (now legacy and was always consumer confusing) or BD profile 3.0 (looking to be stillborn) and why bother since sales would be unfortunately extremely low.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Of course, the studios could put out a "deluxe" BD with the sound track as a special feature item in addition to the movie. There should be ample room on a BD disc to allow this.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley /forum/post/18261478

Of course, the studios could put out a "deluxe" BD with the sound track as a special feature item in addition to the movie. There should be ample room on a BD disc to allow this.

The movie studio rarely owns the rights to the music. It is usually just licensed for use in the film.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nephilim1 /forum/post/18258636

I had Bought the "AI" Soundtrack years ago altho I have never listened to it..I think it was a DVD-A tho. I am going to give it a listen tomorrow..

Star Trek: Nemesis (SACD)

·
Registered
10,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William /forum/post/18261682

The movie studio rarely owns the rights to the music. It is usually just licensed for use in the film.

If the score is composed for the film then it's a good chance they own it or have close partnership with the label that do.

·
Registered
452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William /forum/post/18259658

Producing/engineering in multichannel is the easy part. The hard parts are what format to use (SA-CD (rare players and abandoned by Sony), DVD-A (now legacy and was always consumer confusing) or BD profile 3.0 (looking to be stillborn) and why bother since sales would be unfortunately extremely low.

I don't think that BD profile 3 is at all required for producing or playing back a multichannel BluRay disc. I believe that every BD player can play back a multichannel BD disc.

Or do you have some info that I'm unaware of?

·
Registered
8,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull /forum/post/18283371

I don't think that BD profile 3 is at all required for producing or playing back a multichannel BluRay disc. I believe that every BD player can play back a multichannel BD disc.

Or do you have some info that I'm unaware of?

BD Profile 3.0 is playable and required by every BD player made (even 1st gen). It's simply a way of playing multichannel music without menus or setting. Like starting a CD or SA-CD and not like a menu driven DVD-A or BD Profile 1 or 2.

·
Registered
97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nephilim1 /forum/post/18258636

"My Fair Lady" (stereo only) and "Amadeus" are on SACD, also I think "E.T." and "Dances With Wolves".

·
Registered
1,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbk /forum/post/18287133

"My Fair Lady" (stereo only) and "Amadeus" are on SACD, also I think "E.T." and "Dances With Wolves".

Footloose

Top Gun

Phantom of the Opera

·
Registered
452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William /forum/post/18283780

BD Profile 3.0 is playable and required by every BD player made (even 1st gen). It's simply a way of playing multichannel music without menus or setting. Like starting a CD or SA-CD and not like a menu driven DVD-A or BD Profile 1 or 2.

This may be one of my dense days, William.

But if BD profile 3 is "playable and required by every BD player made (even 1st gen)", as you say, then what is the problem? Let the avalanche of BD multichannel discs begin, and then everyone with a BluRay player can enjoy them, no?

·
Registered
8,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull /forum/post/18289960

This may be one of my dense days, William.

But if BD profile 3 is "playable and required by every BD player made (even 1st gen)", as you say, then what is the problem? Let the avalanche of BD multichannel discs begin, and then everyone with a BluRay player can enjoy them, no?

The problem is while you and I would "beat the doors down" to buy them the general public couldn't care less. Sales would be minuscule at best and the studios fear (rightfully so) that people would be confused and complain that there was no "picture" on their expensive disc. The general public (especially anyone under 30) sees music as a "free MP3 download right" and is not about to pay a premium for it.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William /forum/post/18291274

The problem is while you and I would "beat the doors down" to buy them the general public couldn't care less. Sales would be minuscule at best and the studios fear (rightfully so) that people would be confused and complain that there was no "picture" on their expensive disc. The general public (especially anyone under 30) sees music as a "free MP3 download right" and is not about to pay a premium for it.

Why would you charge premium for it. Let it be just a difference between (almost) free download and regular purchase price around $10. You can't justify charging that amount for old style stereo, but multichannel hi-res record has a chance. When content delivery gets cheaper every year (just compare prices for flat screen TV 3 years ago and now) why not the content itself?

·
Registered
452 Posts
The hold up must be the studios themselves. They either don't want to spend the money promoting the new format or they don't want to do it right now. I can see them wanting BluRay players to have a larger installed base, perhaps, but there is no other reason that I can think of.

Other than the patent holders of BluRay wanting to hold everyone up for fat licensing fees.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for making comments in this thread.

Demand by consumers is, I suppose, the deciding factor. I thought that the comment earlier that the soundtrack could be included on the BD movie disc was a great idea. Maybe as a special feature. And if the studio needed to recoup their cost, they could offer a payment option to get a special "code" to unlock the soundtrack feature.

There is hope, however. Many classical works and operas are now showing up in BD. But, of course, these all include video which would be lacking in soundtracks.

One last possibility is to offer multi channel soundtracks via download (a niche market for sure). Maybe as WMA Lossless files like on iTrax.

Personally, if there is sufficient demand for soundtrack CDs, then there is the strong chance these same consumers would want a multi channel "high quality" alternative (BD or download). The MP3s I have downloaded are just terrible.

marcus

·
Registered
452 Posts
The music labels could also mix their CDs using the Dolby Pro Logic 2 standard, which would address everyone's concerns. The CD would be perfectly playable as a stereo CD or it could be played back with the Pro Logic 2 circuit engaged and provide 5.1 channel surround--all from the same mix on the same disc.

We only just thought this through on the Amps and AVRs thread and it is a viable alternative!

Check it out here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1234645

·
Registered
16,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull /forum/post/18345884

We only just thought this through on the Amps and AVRs thread and it is a viable alternative!

"Only just thought this through"? You're kidding, right? And it's not a viable alternative. Alternative to what, anyway?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
At the very least, it's nice when studios include an isolated score on the disc. Granted, they are edited to fit the movie playing, but it's a start.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts