AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a few questions about multi channel stereo.  I recently changed the sound mode of my sony 5.1 home theater from pro logic to a.f.d. multi and was amazed at how much better the sound was.  A.F.D. Multi basically takes the 2ch stereo and uses both the front and rear speakers instead of just the front speakers.  Even though the center speaker is no longer used, I much prefer this over the 5.1 surround sound.  

So my question:

1.  What is the general term for this feature?  (Is it called multi channel stereo?)

2.  How common is this feature/mode in various home theaters in a box?  (did some research and found out that samsung htib don't have this feature.  I think panasonic also has this feature but don't know about other brands)

3.  Is it more common in receivers and amps?

4.  Is there a way of finding out if the receiver have this feature without looking through the manual?

I was more interested in HTIB since it's a lot cheaper than buying a receiver and speakers separately.  

·
Registered
28,913 Posts
1. Denon calls it multi channel stereo

Harmon Kardon calls it 5 or 7 channel stereo

Onkyo calls it All Channel Stereo

Yamaha calls it all channel or multichannel.

Each mfr has their own name for it.

2. Dont know how common it is on HTIBs, I only buy standalone receivers.

3. AV receivers it is very common. Amps? If it is really just an amp it probably doesn't have any processing at all.

4. The manual would be the best way unless you can find a spec sheet listing all sound modes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks afrogt.  Very well explained and exactly what I wanted to know.  Now I'll know what to look for in the future.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts