AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for all the help I've gotten from these boards! It's helped me make a lot of decisions.

I'm trying to decide between installing separate "traditional" cat5 and RG6 and the multi-conductor kind. You've all said so many great things about Belden, I'd like to use theirs. Does anyone know where I can get a good price on the 2Cat5 /2 RG6 bundle online?

Am I crazy for wanting Belden here or is it really worth the cost?

KB

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I'm no wire guru by any stretch of the imagination, but I have used Belden products for years in Industrial applications. However, concerning your question, I would think almost any manufacturer of Cat-5e and RG6 Quad Shield Coax should suffice. "Cat-5e" and "RG6" define standards that any manufacturer must adhere to, and any cable with such markings should meet all the standards. In Industrial applications, I prefer Belden because it usually has thicker insulation, and sometimes, better shielding for dealing with harsh environments (High AC inductive loads and high temperatures). But in residential, your noise sources are limited to 120/240 VAC, so the shielding on the RG6 Quad should be more than sufficient. As for Cat-5e, it's not shielded, unless you specifically buy it that way. The twisted pairs help to reduce the noise interference.

I just wired my house with the multiconductor (2 Cat-5e + 2 Quad RG6) and it was not Belden. I'll try to get the name when I go by there today.

PS - Alot of cable manufacturers private label just like cereal. I'm not certain, but I would imagine that Belden makes cable for a host of other companies at lesser prices.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'd like that name when you get a hold of it.

KB

·
Registered
283 Posts
Keep in mind that when you use a bundled cable your phone line ends up by the cable output. That's a good thing for satellite and cable box but for the bedrooms you're going to want to run an additional phone line where the bed will be. In bedrooms your phone will likely be on your nightstand and the CATV feed will need to be on the wall opposite the bed.

At least that's how we set up our phone/cable systems.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John G
Keep in mind that when you use a bundled cable your phone line ends up by the cable output. That's a good thing for satellite and cable box but for the bedrooms you're going to want to run an additional phone line where the bed will be. In bedrooms your phone will likely be on your nightstand and the CATV feed will need to be on the wall opposite the bed.

At least that's how we set up our phone/cable systems.
Good point, John...I neglected to add in my post that I did the very same. In the bedroom, living room and office, I ran additional Phone/Data cable for jacks near the bed (bedroom) and on the opposite walls for the living room and office. Some of the guest rooms I didn't bother as I probably won't have phones in them. And the kitchen, I kept the 4 together as a phone (probably wireless) would be on the counter in the same general location as a TV.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by robertmee
8ball,

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you on the multiconductor cable used in my home. It is Genesis Cable Systems Part # 5050.

Here's a direct link: http://www.genesiscable.com/SpecialtyMulti.htm

And here's the link to all their products...Hope this helps
http://www.genesiscable.com/fsproducts.htm
No problem! Thanks for the info. I'm having trouble locating any of this bundled cable at all. Whre can I buy the Genesis cable?

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
8ball,

I did a search and found this:

http://www.tselectronic.com/viewpage...t/genesis.html

But I would suggest contacting some of your local electrical distributors or electrical contractors. They should be able to hook you up with something at a pretty decent price.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.