AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks

I'm hoping i can pick some brains here. i have a loft conversion in my house that is split into a bedroom and a living room. We are re decorating so i want to tuck all the wires away neatly and channel everything into the walls etc.

What i have is two HD tvs' that i want to be able to use individually with all the enteratainment systems we have up there. Ie playstion,laptop,sky etc. All of these devices have an hdmi output and the tv's have inputs. What i need is a system that takes in everything we have and output it to both of the devices but also allows individual use of the monitors. ie if i wish to play a game in one side while the other half watches a movie and vice versa.

Im not sure if such a box exists but i need something that can take in multiple inputs, function with at least 2 signals while displaying them on two displays with the ability to switch between the two displays.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Look into HDBaseT matrix solution. Monoprice seems to have the cheapest one for 4x2 which fits your requirement. Not sure whether they ship to the UK.

In the alternative, you may look into just using a HDMI matrix if the run is not too long. However, I would do HDBaseT and wire extra Cat6 cables in the run along with a conduit to future proof the wiring.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Better yet, if you cannot decide on the technical solution yet. Run the following wires from the central location to each room. Three Cat 6 cables, one high speed HDMI cable, all the speaker wires you wish to configure, and one or more flexible conduit. Run the wires outside the conduit to preserve the conduit for future use. This way, you can use whatever technical solution may come later. Wires are cheap. Better run them now even though you may not really need all of them (for now).

·
Registered
5 Posts
hoyalawya is right. All the wiring necessary to do what you are looking for and an extra conduit is ideal. I don't know how much drywall repair you are looking at or how extensive your remodel is, but I would highly recommend contacting your local professional A/V installation company. If for nothing else but to run the wires. They could also provide you with a warrantied HDMI matrix since any decent one is somewhat costly. Yes cheap ones are $120.00 or so, but may encounter problems when dealing with different TV and source equipment hdmi resolutions and EDID information. mcmelectronics.com/product/33-12501

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
As per other posts the way to achieve what you require is to install solid core CAT6 from the loft to each TV and then use an HDMI over HDBT 'Matrix' (+ Zone Receiver) allow you to share the Source (connected via HDMI to the Matrix) to both Zones.

You don't mention Audio or Control!

Audio - any plans for surround sound in one or other Zones?

Control - the 'over CAT' Matrix will provide an IR pathway from both Zones back to your Matrix and Source, which is fine for many devices but not the Playstation which is Bluetooth

Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts