AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dvdrom has been firmware hacked, using dvdgenie i can get multiregion working fine with powerdvd and windvd...

Using Zoom with Sonic video, powerdvd audio .. and i have problems.. as soon as i try to play a disc (r3 in this case, i'm nativelty r2) and i get a dialog box saying..

"DVD-Video disc cannot be played because the disc is not authored to play in the system region"

This is a windows region yeah, with zoom it doesn't use powerdvd, windvd or sonic to authenticate regions... dvdgenie has stuff in there for changing system region but it also issued some warnings.. it said it was mainly for windows98 (all the dialog boxes are even named for 98) tho the docs mention some support for doing something else with 2k, XP...

I'm cautious as now i think about it, doing the system region change in dvd genie was one of the last things i did before my other install in Zoom got broken with dvds.. i believe the disc in question never worked properly (My neighbour totorro... it seems to cause problems for a lot of players) but this not working i dunno if it was to do with the reg hacks dvd genie did...

Anyways.. my question is.. how do folks go about this.. are there risks... is 2k particularly difficult to do.. I'm going to leave it for now... THanks

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Has anyone else suffered BSOD from Region Killer2 ??

My HTPC has been rock stable without a single crash and then in one go I updated the firmware of my DVD drive (tosh 1612 IIRC) and added RK2... Since then I (very rarely) get a total BSOD failure where iot dumps memory to a file and when it recovers tells me its a hardware communication error or similar... Happens exactly as I press pause / FF or another DVD controlling option...

I am sure it is one of the two but cannot pinpoint if it is the DVD firmware or region Killer... Only happened a couple of times in a few months but I hate HTPC crashes and XP has banished 99.9% of them (this is the only type of crash I have every had on this box)...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i will have a look at region killer... but i am worried with stories of BSOD ;) I just got this fresh install.. hopefully crashes etc will not happen as its going to be win2k doing nothing but a bit of movies...

I will look.. hopefully it has a backup option... i believe dvdgenie warned me to backup registry.. i didn't... my main pc is changing so much all the time that the backup is a bit useless quickly.. as the HTPC install is quite static a reg backup may be ok...

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.