AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to provide 7.1 sound for 2 separate rooms. I would rather not double my expenses and have to buy 2 separate receivers. Does anyone know which receivers can deliver 7.1 audio to 2 separate rooms. I would accept more than 2 rooms but 2 is the minimum. Oh and DTS-Master Audio as well. I has to be able to provide sound to both rooms at the same time but it doesn't have to be 2 separate sources, it can duplicate the output. I would rather 2 separate sources but it doesn't have to be.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
without adding another separate amplifier into the equation?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct. I could split the audio and amp it but I don't want to do that. I just want one receiver 2 rooms

·
Registered
30,154 Posts

Quote:
I would rather not double my expenses and have to buy 2 separate receivers.

you are ALREADY doubling your expenses by having to buy TWO sets of 7.1 speakers!

I am assuming that one of the setups is a "secondary" setup which doesn't require maximum quality like the "main" setup. 7.1 receivers are CHEAP if you don't need a ton of features or massive amps -- you can buy a very nice HK AVR 254 off ebay for $200 from Harman's ebay store which will have HDMI, HD audio decoding, and good 7.1 power.

And if money is a concern.... do they REALLY both need to be 7.1 setups? Can't one of them be 5.1?

It's a rather bizarre request and I don't know of any 7.1 receiver (which BTW will only have SEVEN amps built in) which can simultanously power fourteen speakers!
There are most certainly no receivers that can do two separate 7.1 setups with separate sources!

My opinion (although perhaps if you explain your goals more clearly I could be wrong) is that you are being penny-wise and pound-foolish. Just get a decent receiver for the second room and be done with it.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
i'm not aware of any avr's that have 14 channels of amplification... that would be a MIGHTY big ask....

if you can settle for 5.1, you could try using a something like a pioneer sc-09 in bi-amp mode... then instead of bi-amping 5 speakers, amplify 2 sets of 5...

but for 7.1, i believe you'd have the take the pre-outs out of an avr and use a separate 7 channel amplifier...

i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong...

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you guys are right. The other room is just a bedroom. It will be fine with 5.1. But I was figuring if I had a multi-room receiver and it could do 7.1 in 2 separate rooms then why not.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHuey /forum/post/16963353

I think you guys are right. The other room is just a bedroom. It will be fine with 5.1. But I was figuring if I had a multi-room receiver and it could do 7.1 in 2 separate rooms then why not.

I'm sure that somewhere in the world..some obscure, high end audio gear maker has exactly what you're looking for. However, even if such an animal exists..you would need to empty a very fat wallet to take it home with you.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 /forum/post/16963617

I'm sure that somewhere in the world..some obscure, high end audio gear maker has exactly what you're looking for. However, even if such an animal exists..you would need to empty a very fat wallet to take it home with you.

Wallet...whats that?

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Two 7.1 setups requires two 7.1 receivers. There's a Denon processor with 12 channels - that's 4 channels short of the 16 needed. And it has no amps, it's a processor. And it's expensive.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrakan /forum/post/16969161

Is maybe the Marantz SR7002 what you're looking for?

It's got multi-room support, and even includes a second remote for the second room, but I'm not sure whether it can play audio to both rooms simultaneously.

Some reviews:
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/r...iew-multi-room

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/recei...er-review.html

KM

Even some lower end receivers have a zone 2 (where the back surround amps are used to power 2 speakers elsewhere) but the OP is asking for 2 fully powered 7.1 setups from one receiver.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AND the whole point was to save money, indicating a lack of money. So this "one reciever idea" really doesn't sound like it's going to work out well for me.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHuey /forum/post/16969376

AND the whole point was to save money, indicating a lack of money. So this "one reciever idea" really doesn't sound like it's going to work out well for me.

This should work but its not cheap. Of course you can do more than just 2 rooms though. Price will be for upper mid-range receivers.

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=91258

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/16969607

This should work but its not cheap. Of course you can do more than just 2 rooms though. Price will be for upper mid-range receivers.

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=91258

For two independent 7.1 setups? Reading the specs, I'm not even sure that unit can even do one zone in 7.1 since it states "up to 4 speakers in each zone"...and no mention of HDMI anywhere which means that unit is basically just for whole house music.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It would be cheaper I believe to simply buy 2x used/lower end receivers than to try to find one capable of doing 7.1 in 2 rooms. You might be able to get away with having 1 processor and 2 sets of amps, but you would certainly want to go with balanced cables between the long wire runs.

Honestly, your best bet is to use upgrade-itis to fuel your second setup. Buy what you want now for your main setup, and use whatever is cheapest to get by in the second room (a cheap used 5.1/7.1 receiver, or the multi room 2 channels on your main). Then, when you upgrade your main receiver when a new technology comes out, upgrade your main and put your old one in the second room.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts