AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to build a new multi-room system. Need to power three rooms - a 5.1 system, ceiling speakers in an open concept dining/kitchen/sunroom, and outdoor speakers. the open concept and outdoor will be purely for background music. Do I go with a 5.1 (or 7.1) receiver with a dedicated amp to power zone 2 and 3, or a 9.1 receiver alone? I'm thinking 9.1 gives me more flexibility down the road.

Looking at Yamaha, as I like the option of wireless expansion, so i'm looking at the 2050 ($1500). If I go the separate amp route, i think i'm looking at the 660 ($550) or 860 ($900). Not sure there's enough difference between the two of them for the things I need, so probably the 660.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
88,942 Posts
Your options will depend on whether you want the same audio to all three rooms (A660), different audio to 2 of the 3 rooms (A760/A2050), or different audio to each of 3 rooms (A2050). Also note the A660 has no pre-outs so the A760 would be the lowest model to add a Zone 2 external amp. AVS still has an open box A2050 available. Call for pricing if interested.

8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks, I will call. So if in using an external amp, I'd be limited in sources? Would the external amp only be able to transfer one source, no matter how many channels?

Put another way, if I use the 760 or 860 with an external amp, and power 3 additional zones, all of those zones word have to play the same source?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts