AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up the Denon AVR X510BT for my home theater setup. We have 8 speakers wired in my house, 4 in my living room, and 4 in other parts of the house. I realize the receiver I have isn't able to take advantage of all those speakers, but we didn't have the money to upgrade to a 7.1/2 channel receiver. I'd like to have 2 of the 4 speakers in my living room working for when we're watching TV, and the rest available (although not necessarily at the same time) if we want to listen to music. Right now, I can't find a way to use only the 2 speakers for watching TV in my living room and the rest for listening to music. There doesn't seem to be a setting where I can select certain speakers to be active in certain modes, and other speakers active in other modes. furthermore, it seems that when I do play music through all the speakers, they all sound different in different rooms because I plugged the speaker wire into slots designated for tasks the speakers weren't designed for! Is what I'm asking for even possible with the receiver I bought? If not, let me know so I can return it for something better. :)

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Multi channel 5.1 AVR's are designed to create surround sound for 1 room. The 5 channels are front, center, left and 2 side surrounds. They may have an A/B speaker selector where you could hook up a second pair of stereo speakers in another room. The speaker channels generally can't be used for anything else. A more expensive AVR with multi zones my be what your looking for.

·
Premium Member
92,791 Posts
The X510BT is only sold outside of the USA/CA. As this is a USA/CA based forum, it helps if you place your country in the "Location" setting of the profile to provide better assistance.

In order to operate speakers in another zone (ie. room(s)), you need at least a 7CH AVR (eg. X1200W or X1300W) which can then do 5.1 in the main zone and 2.0 in Zone 2. However, as you have more than 2 speakers in Zone 2, you'll want to connect a multi-zone impedance matching speaker selector to the Zone 2 speaker posts and then connect the speakers to that speaker selector.

https://www.amazon.com/SS4-Speaker-Selector-Impedance-Matching/dp/B002I9XKTE

1 - 3 of 3 Posts