AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update: Thanks for all of the useful suggestions. I have some homework to do now. Been lurking on this forum for years and this was a very successful first post!!

I currently have a multi-room audio system (Zon Audio) that is old and is failing. Looking for recs for replacing easily. Each room has a pair of speakers wired to volume knob with a home-run cat5 cable going to central wiring closet. Flexible on replacements, and have been playing with Arylic audio boards but power is the main issue.

So basically have a bunch of rooms with speaker pairs and need replacement suggestion for in room volume knob and component for home-run. Picture below shows manual page for the component currently in the room. 10. Is the port for speaker plugs. 8. is for home-run to closet.

·
Registered
11,517 Posts
Contact Zon? They will know what you have and be able to give you the best rec for upgrading.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
If not replacing the Zon Audio system some potential alternative solutions include:

How many rooms/zones do you have?

If you're routing music only, to play separately or in groups, you may also be interested in going to wireless whole-house audio, and directing streaming music from phones.
If you're looking at the Arylic boards, you'd need pair it with an amplifier in each zone/room or at a central location (I'm guessing Zon Audio's amp is what's failing).
An alternative to Arylic is the Phorus PR5 receiver. You'd use it the same way. They cost less than the Arylic boards and are part of the relatively mature Play-Fi ecosystem.

If you're OK with Arylic or Phorus, you could pair a receiver with an amplifier in each zone, or use the existing central wiring to multichannel amp, or mix the models.
Add a receiver to each input, then you can play them separately or in a group.
The Dayton APA102BT, Russound P75, OSD XMP100, AudioSource AMP100VS or AD1002 are all examples of a similar design with various levels of power that can be placed in each zone, with auto on/off

In the multi-channel category, again multiple brands use similar designs, but the OSD lineup is easy enough to look at, ranging from 8 channels/4 zones to 16 channels/8 zones.
They also have solutions with control panels.

I currently have a multi-room audio system (Zon Audio) that is old and is failing. Looking for recs for replacing easily. Each room has a pair of speakers wired to volume knob with a home-run cat5 cable going to central wiring closet. Flexible on replacements, and have been playing with Arylic audio boards but power is the main issue.

So basically have a bunch of rooms with speaker pairs and need replacement suggestion for in room volume knob and component for home-run. Picture below shows manual page for the component currently in the room. 10. Is the port for speaker plugs. 8. is for home-run to closet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts