AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine wants to be able to play music in one of three rooms. He doesn't have the need to play different sources in each room, just sound to each of them. He only wants to spend between $300-$500. It also doesn't need to be high quality equipment or high quality sound.

Anyone know of a possible solution to this?

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Quote:
He only wants to spend between $300-$500. It also doesn't need to be high quality equipment or high quality sound.
Does this include installation? If so there goes something like half the budget. Of course, if your friend perchance has any DIY talents, he can spend more on the equipment.

There are a couple of cheap ways to go about this. The cheapest is to get a speaker switching device like the Radio Shack 40-240. Then he can run speaker wires to the remote room. A local speaker-level volume control can be installed, but its setting would ultimately change with the receiver’s, as would all tone and EQ controls.

A second way, and my preference, is to sent L/R audio signal cables (fed by the receiver’s tape monitor sends) to the second room. They would be connected to a separate stand-alone system, e.g., another receiver and speakers. This way you would have total control of the local speakers – volume, tone, etc. The only caveat is that you have to solder RCA connectors at both ends.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

EDIT: Forgot to mention, you should always connect the sends from the main receiver to the tape input jacks only on the the remote amplifier/receiver.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Wayne,

Will that method work twice for a three room solution? I would like to (1) take the mutisource out from a Denon and connect it to a Sony stereo receiver I already own via the Sony's tape in connection, and then (2) connect the 1st Sony to yet another Sony receiver I already own by connecting the tape out from the 1st Sony to the tape in on the 2nd Sony. My theory is that I would then have the Denon powering surround sound in the main room and the two Sonys sending the multisource signal to two other rooms complete with volume adjustability for each room. This would be a very affordable multiroom solution since I already own the Sonys. What do you think?

Blue

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Blue,

Yes, your scenario would work fine. I forgot to mention in my first post that you should use only the tape inputs in remote receivers – I’ve made the correction.

The reason is that most receivers short any inputs except the one selected, except for tape loops. They are always open and not shorted.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.