AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Denon 3801 receiver with 7 ch. stereo mode that sends full signal to all seven channels at the same time. I'd like to do something like this:

Take advantage of the 7 channels to provide sound throughout my house ( 4 BR, 2000 sf) by installing ceiling speakers.

Be able to switch between different room configurations, for example:

config. 1.

2 mains in the living room

2 ceiling sp. in Master Bedroom

1 ceiling sp. in the family room

2 Backyard outdoor speakers

config. 2.

2 mains in the living room

2 ceiling sp. in master bedroom

2 ceiling sp. in 2 separate bathrooms

1 ceiling sp. in the den.

config. 3. The standard hometheater 5.1 set-up.

I thinking there should be some sort of selector box with lets say 12 sp. buttons. I would like to select any 7 at a given time.

Basically to me this seems theoretically possible, any help with some equipment sources.

Am I loosing it or is this really possible. I am trying to get the most bang for my buck here.

Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
honestly I doubt it...ony denon I have is a LD player, but what does the manual say about multi room set ups?

ceiling speakers tend not to he greatest and you loose imaging for stereo...sort of the elevator affect

I am in sunnyvale during the day, email me and i'll give you my phone number and try to help you out if you want

grant
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The easiest (and cheapest) way to power all those speakers off your receiver is to buy a speaker selector such as the Niles HDL-6 or SVL-6.

There is no easy way to route the 2 channel signal into the multichannel inputs and then use them for other things (that I know of). You would need a bunch of different selector boxes routing things back and forth in all different ways...!

If you need more than 6 pairs then Niles makes an MSA-10 -- electronic switching for 10 pairs off one amplifier.

Otherwise it would be better to purchase a larger multichannel amplifier and run it off the multi-room preamp outputs.

Brian

·
Registered
283 Posts
I only counted 8 unique zones in your list. I assumed that when you listed 2 spkrs vs. 1 spkr. you did mean 2 spkrs and not 2pr spkrs. Is that correct?

If that's the case you can use the Speakercraft S-8 (8-pr speaker selector), or something equivalent to turn off zones at the distribution point. You can also purchase a multi-channel amp or dedicated speaker splitter that could handle your needs, and just turn each room off with the volume control located in the room when you're not using or don't want to hear the speakers. That's what most people do.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John, yes I meant 2 speakers not 2 pairs. Like Brian mentioned, I'd like to find out if there is an easy (and clean) way to switch the hi-level speaker output between two locations.

For example, when I am listening to music, I don't really need my surrounds. Is there a high quality switch I can use to send the same signal to some speakers in the backyard? Thats really the core of my question.

Thanks

·
Registered
283 Posts
The way we typically set up basic multi-zone systems is to use a 2nd receiver to power the other zones in the house and use the main HT receiver to power the Theater Room. In higher end applications, we'll use the 2nd receiver as a pre-amp (or use a dedicated pre-amp) and feed the output to a multichannel amplifier to power the remaining zones. In both cases we'll share outputs from the different components and feed them into both receivers.

On the 3802 there is a separate amplifier for the Surround Back Left, and Surround Back Right channels. You can run the SBL and SBR channels into an impedance matching speaker selector and when you're listening to surround only, then use the receiver's menu to run those channels as surround and turn the other zones off using the speaker selector. When you want to run the multi-room, go into the menu and tell the receiver to utilize those two channels as multi-room and turn the speakers back on at the selector. When the SBL and SBR channels are set up as multi-room, then the receiver's volume control doesn't affect the output from those two (SBL, SBR) channels. This allows you to control volume in the main room using the receiver's volume control, and volume in the other zones with the v/c at each location.

On the Denon 3801 I don't think you have the option of selecting multi-room or surround for the back channels, so you would have to feed the 'B' outputs of the front mains to the speaker selector. The drawback to doing this is that the main speakers in the home theater room would be more than 9dB louder than the other rooms in the house even when the other volume controls are set to maximum.

I think the easiest and simplest way to achieve what you're trying to do is to just purchase an inexpensive (

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
SMG, you could get an A/B switch that would allow connection of two sets of speakers via high level cables to the output of the surround speaker output on the back of your receiver. That would allow you to push A when you wanted the Surrounds on, and B when you wanted the outside speakers on, but then the outside speakers would be getting the surround information and not the stereo signal?!

I'm not sure why you would want to do this. Another way might be to get a line level A/B/... switch and run the preamp out from the front channels and the surround channels and then feed it back into the main in (only if you have that capability). Then get a high level A/B switch and then you could do what you are talking about and switch between the two signals.

But this seems so complicated and like John suggests you could probably pick up even a used receiver from a pawn shop and make life 100x easier.

Brian

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for all your help. Sorry I havn't posted a reply in a while.

Brian B. I think your A/B idea should work, again the reason I want to do this is to utilize the 7 channels in my receiver. The outside speakers wouldn't be getting surround information because in 7 ch. stereo mode, all channels get the full signal. Thats essentially the mode I would be using when I am listening to music.

Do you know who makes a good quality A/B switch. So the idea would be to run the high level speaker signal to the switch and I would be able to select where the high level signal goes. (rear surrounds or backyard for example) I think thats what you're saying, am I right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.