Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to the world of Home distribution, but I would like some help using my MC-12 to control a whole house system.

I don't care that there are only two "extra" zones in the MC-12, but I need to have sound and volume control in 6 areas.

I would like to output the record zone (which has video) to two of these areas and zone 2 (stereo) to the other 4. What can I use if I want keypad control in 3 of the four areas and volume control and IR in the other 3. I guess my biggest questions are:

1.) Do I use the fixed or variable pre-amp outputs from the MC-12?

2.) How do I control the volume independently among the 6 zones? I am assuming I use the fixed outputs and run these to an amp which the goes to the keypads or volume controls in the various rooms? Is this right?

3.) Can I use the xantech smartpad system for the 2 zones with keypads, or should I run keypads to all the zones?

I have done a ton of research and have looked at turnkey systems like the MRC44, but feel that my pre-amp has the control capabilities I am looking for if I can just understand how I split the zone 2 or record zone signal over 4 and 2 rooms respectively and maintain independent volume control? How can I send the video to thes two rooms? Can I use coax cable?

4.) Do I have to use two different amps? or is there a 12 channel amp which will accept 2 different inouts and allow me to use four channels for one input and 8 for the other?

Thanks,

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Anthony

·
Registered
900 Posts
Take a loolk at the Parasound 12 amp. You should be able to bridge and configure it the way you want.

Larry Kosova

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have also been thinking about using the MC-12 or the Krell processor for whole house distribution. However, I am also researching the concept of running two theaters, (i.e. 5.1 channel output) one from the balanced output and one from the non-balanced. I understand I would be limited to A) listening to the same 5.1 channel sound in each theater, or B) listening in only one theater at a time. However, this would help justify the purchase of these high-end units.

I would then use zone 2 and the record zone (as zone 3) for stereo distribution.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
ccclapp:

How are you intending to calibrate your one surround sound processor for two separate systems? If you calibrate your output levels for one theater, they are going to be way off for the other theater.

·
Registered
671 Posts
QQQ:

...I am not an expert in these things, and my thinking may be wrong, but...I assume my basic processor settings for base, treble, etc would not need significant adjustment between rooms, or if it did, those settings could be stored as a macro on my IR control, so at worst, with the push of a button, I could adjust for each room. In the case where I am watching/listening in both rooms at the same time, (a shared movie) one room would take priority.

This would leave me with the single primary issue of having to adjust speaker volumes in each room (and for each speaker in a room for proper balance). That would be done either by 1) using volume controls for the remote room's speakers, 2) using amps with integrated volume control, or 3) by using fully powered speakers which have IR controlled volume for each speaker (such as B&O).

I welcome your advice.

--Caleb

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Caleb:

As you know, when you calibrate a surround sound processor, one of the most critical adjustments is setting the output level for all of the speaker channels. Otherwise, your speakers would all be playing at completely different levels. That means that if you try to drive two different systems with the same surround sound processor, one systems is going to be grossly misadjusted. Simply using volume controls or IR is unlkely to provide a solution. Yes, there are ways that it can be done - whether you should do it is another question. By the time you are done, you will likely be better off buying another less expensive surround sound processor or receiver for your second room.

Here are issues to consider:

1) You would have to check but it almost certainly cannot be done with IR with the Krell or the Lexicon (if it can that would be a first). It might be able to be done via RS-232 (it can with Meridian). By communicating with the units via serial control a macro could be written that would say left speaker go to +7 dB, center speaker go to +2 dB etc.

2) You can try any number of other methods to adjust gain but again, without doing some crazy stuff, it isn't going to work right. Let's suppose you adjust the center channel output at approx. 6 dB less than the main left and right outputs for the main system. Now now let's suppose your second room system needs the center channel set 6 dB higher than the left and right. You will not be able to do it without employing a another gain stage. Remember, passive volume controls only attenuate (including the ones on power amplifiers), nothing more. Also, your output levels via balanced are also going to be completely different than through single ended. And on and on.

I hope this makes sense. This is one of those issues that pages could be written about because there are so many different factors to consider.

As I mentioned, if the new Krell or Lexicon units allow a single IR command (NOT a macro) to change all output levels instantaneously, that would solve some of the issues.

Please post with any questions about this.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should examine the online Lexicon manual, but I think you could somewhat accomplish a dual calibration system if you used Logic 7 Film mode exclusively in one room and the other surround decoding procedures in the other room.

The Logic 7 decoding mode for 5.1 sources allow you to individually customize output levels of side L/R, rear L/R, center, LFE, and sub l/R, however you can't independently adjust the channels L vs. R and you can't adjust the main L&R, but it would be better than nothing and not require a macro. Also it would not necessitate the lengthy process of adjusting the output levels of all speakers.

But, I agree it sounds a bit over complex.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.