AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to be brief: I have my DP connected to an SW42 pointing at 61.5 and 110. Until a few days ago, it was working OK.

Now, if I don't use the switch, I get 110 just fine. But with the switch, I get 110 except for the locals (which are on 110 & 61.5). Sometimes the summary claims that I don't have odd transponders working, but the 110 locals are supposedly on transponder 16. When I check signal strength, sometimes it reads the 61.5 position instead. And I am often having trouble when I try to re-install the switch settings, "Problem detected, check connections." Which means no odd transponders. Sometimes, it doesn't recognize the switch at all. I also get "VRam error" in the diagnostics rather often.

Occasionally, everything works just fine using the switch. Then, the locals go out again. I've tried both slot 1 and slot 2 of the multi switch with the same results.

I tried resetting the box with code 32768, no difference. I'm stumped, since it only seems to effect the locals, but the locals & the rest of 110 work fine without the switch.

Seems like my STB goes wacky every time they have free preview's.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I just had to replace my Multiswitch, as they can go bad!!!

I was getting evey other transponder on the 119 Sat, and two of the three 110 transponders weren't there at all. With the new Multiswitch all is fine.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
E* tech support though it was the switch too. Oddly, it is working fine today.

I had two sw 21 switches go bad previously. Now the possible problems with the SW42. But I still think it could be something else. I just wish I knew why I seem to have such bad luck with switches!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I ripped open my last SW 21 because of similar intermittant problems. One of the ports was definately "smoked" and took a whack at some point.

Funny enough, my old model 1000 receiver and dual LNBs are still going strong. My "guess" would be to ground your switch the best you can and hope for the best.

Out of curiosity, I would rip apart your other failed switches to see if there are any obvious signs of damage.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In Florida, space is at a premium. So when something goes bad, we usually toss it out. But at mom's back in the Midwest, I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere packed away are my original front teeth -- just in case!

·
Registered
280 Posts
OK, so I'm a packrat, and I HATE to throw away hardware;)

However, being that you're in the lightning capital of the country...I think...it wouldn't surprise me if your high failure rate of switches was related to your area's abundant high energy light shows.

I'm beginning to wonder about the durability of these switches.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by restart88
I just wish I knew why I seem to have such bad luck with switches!
Also being in the lightning capital of the world, I can tell you that I have an astronomically high failure rate of components since I moved here from the midwest. Despite surge suppressors, line conditioners, etc...

Fact of life here is that lightning is everywhere, and Florida Power rots. TECO is supposedly a little better, but not an option for us.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by frostlich
OK, so I'm a packrat, and I HATE to throw away hardware;)

However, being that you're in the lightning capital of the country...I think...it wouldn't surprise me if your high failure rate of switches was related to your area's abundant high energy light shows.

I'm beginning to wonder about the durability of these switches.
After a quick search in the shed for other DBS parts, low and behold I found the previous SW21. Now, what's the best way to pop the box open? I pulled the screws, but the cover is tight.

As to my technical troubles, I think I have figured out some of the troubles. I added a 3rd antenna in a slightly different location and the 110 (same lnb) now works fine directly connected without the switch. Possible issue, distant tree growth or some other obstruction, which doesn't seem to effect the other 2 positions that oddly SHOULD have an issue, especially 61.5 which is directly behind tree limbs and the 101 position that was just inches away from the 110 on the same dish.

Second issue, the SW42 works ok for a while, then starts sporadically losing transponders, usually only even yet occasionally odd but not even, on only 1 of the 2 positions. So the switch likely is going bad. So what caused it to fail?

So far, every switch has showed its initial signs of failure when E* added free previews. Then the issue began to escalate. My guess, weather conditions weakened the switch integrity (and probably the previous switches) and the downloads of the extra channels finished it off. Don't even get me started on the locals issues, but between the EPG issues in the past and the state of the switches, I think that might account for the problems I always seem to have with them. Locals are on 110 Transponder 16, with a few on 61.5.

Future solution, relocate the switch, inside if possible. And pray there are no more software upgrade blunders.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well, if your switch was like my last one, you have to jam a thin screwdriver or what have you into the edge and just pry it open. Really, thats the point of no return since I doubt it can ever re-seal very well...but if its no good anyway, why not? They seal these units fairly well, weathertight.

I don't know what to tell you about your other problems. One question I've always had was about the dishes look angle vs the incoming signal. Notice the LNBs are offset (lower) and not in the center of the dish like the older 8ft antennas. I'm guessing here, and probably incorrectly, that the signal does not meet the dish(reflector) perpendicularly, causing the offset LNBs? Using that logic, the satellite your reflector is looking at may be a little higher in the sky than what you might think (possibly explaining why you might be "seeing" past that tree obstruction). Again, thats a pure guess on my part.

As far as the trees go, I'm in a bind as well. I can "see" my signals through a tunnel opening of trees. Unfortunately, this one cherry tree has decided to grow some extra leaves this year. I really notice it with any kind of wind. Now the bad part, I've gotta find some nut with spikeshoes willing to scale up this 75footer and cut off the encroaching limb. (Did I mention its over power lines as well?)

Anyhow, we may not have the lightning in Upstate NY like Florida does, but we do have temperature extremes from -40 to 90+degrees. My SW21 was installed last July and failed this January.

I like your idea of putting these switches inside. Sure, its more cable, but in the long run probably cheaper than buying a new switch over and over again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.