Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, a two pronged questions here....

1). Satellite A is all Standard Definition programming correct?

2). So, if I take 2 of the lines off of my triple LNB dish (off of the internal 4X4) and put it directly into my spaun 2X8 Multi-switch, then all of those outputs will be able to watch all standard definition channels (Just like before I got the HD package) and I can take the other 2 lines and use those for my HD receivers. Is my understanding correct?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
That's basically correct. There are a couple of HD channels on Sat A right now. Im watching FOXE in HD on 88 from Sat A for example. You will get all Sat A programming off the 2x8.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So Greywolf... The other two lines coming out of the built in 4X4 Multiswitch can do directly into the HD receivers? Then I can get a 5x8 if I want to add more then 2 HD receivers, correct?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Correct.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I read through all the Faqs and other posts but I still dont get it....

If the triple LMB dish has a built in 4x4 multiswitch, then isnt that ms combining all of the LMBs and sending them out as 4 seperate signals which all independantly carry every channel?

If that is the case...

I have 1 run going to the bedroom, 1 going to the living room, and 2 to the basement...could I hook up anything in the living room and bedroom to give me 2 without homerunning to a bigger multiswitch? I know it wouldnt be a splitter and I dont think they have 1x2 multiswitches....what am I missing guys?

Is my only solution to do the 5x8 by the dish and run new coax to every room I want to have 2 inputs at?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Each separate line does not really carry all independent channels all at the same time. The receiver calls for a specific satellite and transponder through each individual line. The switch then chooses the line that has that transponder/sat signal.

To understand it is the switches job to fix each line to have certain signals available. In a 2X switch one input contains Sat A odd and the other Sat A even. This 2X switch cannot provide SatB transponders.

A 4X switch fixes four separate lines. SatA odd, SatAeven, SatBodd, and SatBeven. When the call from the receiver comes, the switch provides access to one of these four lines. The output from the switch can only carry one of these four at any one time; therefore the requirement to have individual lines for every input on a receiver.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Good. You're just in time for the next generation of satellites to thicken the plot. More Sat slots will be used and things like this plus additional dishes besides the 3LNB oval are already needed for locals in some markets.

·
Registered
185 Posts
But thats what makes all of this so much fun... by the time I hook up my multiplexing optiplexer to the reversed zener diode and back to the change over memory arbitrator, all of my equipment will be obsolete. :)

I just wanted to avoid having to home run everything again, thats gonna be another 100 feet of coax just to get my woman 2 inputs in the living room, guess she is outta luck. D'OH!!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
FJ -- Don't forget that the reversed zener diode requires 2.1 gigawatts for normal operation, so you'll need that Mr. Fusion device strapped on the top of a 1985 DeLorean!

FWIW--Rule #1... Keep the woman happy, and you'll be much happier later!!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Now that I've added a couple Tivo's to my setup I don't have enough connections to use dual tuners on all the Tivo's. I have a Phase III dish and I'm looking for recommendations for brand of 4x8 multiswitch and where to purchase one.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
296 Posts
Chris,

Instead of looking for a 4x8 multiswitch, consider looking for a 5x8 switch, which are a bit more available. (the exta line is for a OTA antenna). I am using a perfect vision 5x8, but there are quite a few other manufacturers for these. A couple who have good feedback on this forum are the Terk BMS-58 and the Eagle Aspen. Since ou have the PhaseIII dish, just make sure that any multiswitch is cascadable. (since the P3 dish has a m/s built in, the cascading feature allows the 2 switches to play nicely together.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.