Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've started to makes plans for an Audio PC (APC) to distribute music through out my new condo. I'm looking at putting 5 soundcards (4 zones+1 synced) into a PC and running an instance of Winamp for each soundcard.

Here's where I run into a snag. I had been planning on using X10 keypads to controll each zones audio, with girder responding to each X10 command received and acting accordingly.

The problem is if I go that route the controls will be blind. There'd be no way to select a certain CD or set of CDs, the listener would be at the mercy of Winamp's playlist.

I've seen where people have used LCDs w/ touchscreens and J.Media Center to do the client/server thing but I always assumed to do that you need a PC for each display, which I'm not too keen on.

I've thought about trying to use just a Character LCD, which I could get USB versions of, and mount those above the control pads, which may or may not work depending on power requirements and cable runs.

So, anybody got any ideas out there?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I was wondering some of the same things. I just installed two soundcards in a pc and winamp5 for each card. I was also wondering how to control each zone. I have a pronto and an IR keyboard to use with an IR repeater system. It sounds like you need a display and a 2-way communication remote or keypad to control winamp. Do you have a multizone amp?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the reply, looks like we may be headed in the same direction.

I haven't figured out the speaker setup yet. I'm thinking that for now at least I'll just use some stereo PC speakers. They're not great, but I don't want to put a ton of money into this unless I know it's all going to work. (don't want to put a ton of money into it, yeah right. We've all been there ;))

Also for control I'm looking putting a X-10
8-Button Keypad Linc next to the light switch in each room/zone. Using that to interface to the APC through a X-10 CM11A Computer Interface and Girder with the X10 - CM11A / CM12U plugin will allow control of each zone. At least that's the theory anyhow.

As for displays, I'm seriously thinking of using USB character LCDs from Matrix Orbital . I haven't looked into the limitations I may be running into yet, but that's next on my list.

Some of the problems I can see popping up with the displays is cable length (my cable runs should be relatively short thankfully) but also whether the software that comes with the LCDs can display different info on different screens. They say it should work here , but that's only 2 displays not the 4-5 I'd be looking at setting up.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New question for you Mike,

If you run girder can you do me a favor and see if Girder can tell the difference between the two instances of WinAmp?

If not, don't sweat it. If girder can distinguish between the two life could be a whole lot easier. If it can't then it may be back to the drawing board on this one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.