AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to redo my audio setup for my house. I'd like to upgrade my HT to 7.1 and add audio to different rooms, from different sources, and have keypads in those rooms to control all of that. I'd also like to have some basic automation (click 'watch movie' have the screen drop, dvd etc turn on, lights dim).

Here's where I'm stuck. I'm trying to do this peice by peice, by myself. I'm not cheap, but I really enjoying tackling projects myself. However, I can't seem to figure out what I need to do this. I've found products like Niles Audio ZR-8630AV MultiZone Receiver ( http://www.nilesaudio.com/products/zr8630av.html ) which seems to do everything but home theater. And I've obviously found multizone HT receivers - but they dont seem to have keypad inputs.

Is there something that will take care of 7.1 home theater AND real multizone sound with key pad inputs and 12v triggers? Or should I just forget integrating everything and think of them separately.

I really liked the Niles system (aside from low power rating) - are there other ones that compete against it? Am I in the wrong forum?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
197 Posts
The B&K AVR507 will do a second zone and allow and keypad and has 12v triggers. Youd have to add another amp to power the other rooms tho.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You can buy separates and remotely control them via rf remotes anywhere in the house, you just program the remote to do whatever you want. e.g. my remote, closes the curtains, switches on teh projector, sound processor, TV tuner etc with the touch of one button. Multizone and multisource and also be programmed in teh same way.

The best remotes I know of if cost is no object is crestron, if you are on a budget then I would look at the Phillips Pronto. Either of these systems would allow you to buy separates for everything and then remotely control the devices as long as they used IR. In the case of Crestron much more is possible as they have units that can switch power on/off to a particular device and can also handle rs232 devices as well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - after posting I found some more info.

Does Crestron sell direct? I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but are there any online retailers? I can only find one local installer who wants to set it all up for me. I'm sort of the type who really enjoys doing things myself (except flooring, dear God I'll never do carpet myself again). I understand they're exceptionally expensive, but I figure I could start small and add on. I really do like their total package and could see myself usign the video and HVAC integration in the distant future.

I really do like the 507 in terms of specs and looks. If I were to get something like that now, could a Creston system control it later on? I know they say they can control external devices, but I wonder how well.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
389 Posts
The upper end of their product line contains A-Bus enabled receivers...Abus is technology designed by Russound that distributes Audio over Cat5 wire. The A-bus keypads have amplifiers built in (8-9 watts, more than sufficient for every day listening, but certainly not going to Rock the House). You can buy external amps (in-wall, 35WPC if needed)

A-bus passes Infra-red to the receiver, allowing for full receiver control...IR Repeaters are available to control equipment hooked up to the receiver...

Fairly simple...definitely do-it-yourself

Keypads look great too!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.