23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my set up:

• Denon x4000 Receiver 7.2 channel
  • 2 x Q900's KEF tower speakers
  • 1 x Q600c KEF Centre channel
  • 2 x Q300 KEF Rear Speakers
  • 1 x 12" SVS Sub
  • 2 x KEF Ceiling speakers (Each speaker takes 4 wires)
So with this current set up I can only get the 5.1 working and one ceiling speaker. In order to get the other ceiling speaker working I need to add at least a 2 channel amp (or greater if I wanted to add more ceiling speakers in different rooms).

I've been doing some research and the Emotiva product sounded very appealing but with the price hike because of the new models and with the US exchange rate, it has become cost prohibitive until I stumbled across this: http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PSPVC6-6-...a3dc35803e081f

Will this product solve my issue? My understanding is that it's not an amplifier but only a channel speaker selector

sk

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Are you trying to bi-amp the in ceilings? If so dont, just run a single neg. and pos. to them! I doubt youll notice a difference bi amping in ceilings...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Not sure what bi-amping is, but here are the ceiling speakers that I have and planning on getting a couple more:

http://www.kef.com/html/ca_en/showr...series/speaker/Ci160CSds/index.html#filter=61

Sorry not very tech savvy.....
If those are the speakers your talking about wiring up, theyre actually meant for a room that you cant fit 2 speakers in, but only 1 speaker! So, you can use them, but you they require 4 wires from a stereo source to function properly as each speaker is considered a Stereo speaker!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Id return them if you still can, and get a pair of regular stereo in ceilings! Unless your only putting 1 of these in each room as intended!;)

·
Premium Member
90,353 Posts
If your plan is to keep your main zone as 5.1 and then use each of the "ceiling" speakers in separate rooms (as these are stereo speakers), then yes, you can use a multi zone speaker selector (although there are much less expensive models than the Pyle) connected to the Surr Back speaker posts as Zone 2 and connect the speakers to the speaker selector. If you decide to add more than just the 2 "ceiling" speakers, you would be better served getting a 2CH amp and connecting it to the Zone 2 (or Zone 3) pre-outs and then connecting the speaker selector to the 2CH amp.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your plan is to keep your main zone as 5.1 and then use each of the "ceiling" speakers in separate rooms (as these are stereo speakers), then yes, you can use a multi zone speaker selector (although there are much less expensive models than the Pyle) connected to the Surr Back speaker posts as Zone 2 and connect the speakers to the speaker selector. If you decide to add more than just the 2 "ceiling" speakers, you would be better served getting a 2CH amp and connecting it to the Zone 2 (or Zone 3) pre-outs and then connecting the speaker selector to the 2CH amp.

Thanks JD. This is what kind of advice I needed.

sk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So now the Million Dollar question is: Now that you know my set up and what my needs are, what 2 channel amp would you recommend (preferably one that will not break the bank either)

sk

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Audiosource amp 100

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I'm only using 1 set of speakers per room.
So your using a Pair! Theyre meant for 1 speaker per room.

So to properly power these, youll need 1 stereo power amp per speaker! So if you have 1 pair, 2 speakers per room! Youll need two stereo amps per room for a pair of those speakers!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts