AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine is building a new house and has plans for speakers in lots of different rooms (media room, kitchen, outdoor patio, office, and perhaps one or two more rooms). With the exception of the media room, all other rooms would likely be audio only, but he wants each location to be a different zone and he wants to ability to select multiple zones at once.

Are there any multi-zone receivers yall would recommend or is there another method (switch?) you would recommend? Only requirement is usability needs to be wife-friendly.

·
Premium Member
90,432 Posts
Most AVRs will only have 2 zones with some offering a 3rd Zone so depending on how much independence was desired (ie. 2 or 3 sources), a multizone AVR used in conjunction with an impedance matching speaker selector connect to a 2nd external amp for the other zone speakers may work best with remote controlled options being more expensive.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10903&cs_id=1090305&p_id=8230&seq=1&format=2

http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/7-pair-speaker-selector-with-remote-control.html

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
Get a good quality AVR that has Zone II line outputs..
Plug the Zone II line outputs into a multi-channel distribution amplifier..
These can have various # of channels depending upon How many rooms? U want to drive..
Now each room can have its own amplifier and can be controlled for power and level..

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Figured I'd post here rather than starting a new thread.

I too am looking at powering different zones (each zone with two speakers, no video at all)
Is there a way to select zones with an app or remote? I've been looking at some Yamaha and Onkyo recievers that have pretty advanced apps.

Thanks!!

Get a good quality AVR that has Zone II line outputs..
Plug the Zone II line outputs into a multi-channel distribution amplifier..
These can have various # of channels depending upon How many rooms? U want to drive..
Now each room can have its own amplifier and can be controlled for power and level..

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
ab switch vs multi room

A buddy of mine is building a new house and has plans for speakers in lots of different rooms (media room, kitchen, outdoor patio, office, and perhaps one or two more rooms). With the exception of the media room, all other rooms would likely be audio only, but he wants each location to be a different zone and he wants to ability to select multiple zones at once.

Are there any multi-zone receivers yall would recommend or is there another method (switch?) you would recommend? Only requirement is usability needs to be wife-friendly.
i have an old sony receiver that is going. i use it for surround sound and or playing my music outback. i am sued to having an ab switch to turn off one zone and on another. the newer units don't seem to have this switch. what is the difference if some one could help?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts