AVS Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks, glad I'm able to help! Glad you like the integrated temp controls--I have it set to turn fans on at a pretty low temp so it basically turns on whenever my amps are on. It'd be a freaking oven in there otherwise! To answer your additional questions, yes, for the couple rooms that were prewired, I had a homerun cable (4 conductor) from that media cabinet to the VC locations, and then 2 conductor cables running up to the speakers. For the rooms I added, I decided to mimic this to keep it consistent which was a little bit more difficult on the wiring side, but VCs are pretty cheap and give us a lot of flexibility. When my phone or doorbell rings, I can turn things down in my main room very quickly. Beyond that, it makes it possible to utilize a single Sonos Connect (which just give us the ability to adjust master volume for all sources) by tweaking VCs in each room, or just leaving them all the way down--off--when not using that room. Many people suggested staying away from them and maybe I will stop using them in the future, but they're nice for now and I find them very convenient. For you, you're really tied to a WHA controller with an app allowing you to control individual room volume and source since I assume you don't have CAT cable to control locations per room, or a stack of Sonos Connects and a 12ch amp. I considered getting the Monoprice 6 zone kit for a while, but the apps seemed a bit buggy and I didn't want to wire for the wall controls (CAT5). The HTD system was next in line but a little too expensive for me.

I bought a used Connect as well. Buying used has been great. It's amazing how much the used Sonos equipment demands on the open market. There's lots of people out there gobbling it up to expand their systems! I'm sure I'll be doing the same soon (my 3 year old wants music in her room now).
You're right. That will be a pain if the doorbell or the phone rings. I will have to find the iPhone to turn down the volume on all the zones. I did actually run Cat 6 to each room/zone because I was originally going to use a Nuvo Grand Concerto with their Music Port. Its a really well integrated solution with very nice keypads (if you want). But the total solution, without speakers is over $4,000. It was originally on my wish list. But as you know, I can get a used 12 zone amp with around 60 watts per channel for a couple of hundred dollars and a used connect for well under $300. All my speakers are already installed. I really love distributed music, but at $4,000 - not sure I love it that much. I even looked at BlueNote. Its similar to Sonos, but has higher quality music (lossless, etc). Oohhh, so many choices!! When will I make one???

·
Registered
267 Posts
You're right. That will be a pain if the doorbell or the phone rings. I will have to find the iPhone to turn down the volume on all the zones. I did actually run Cat 6 to each room/zone because I was originally going to use a Nuvo Grand Concerto with their Music Port. Its a really well integrated solution with very nice keypads (if you want). But the total solution, without speakers is over $4,000. It was originally on my wish list. But as you know, I can get a used 12 zone amp with around 60 watts per channel for a couple of hundred dollars and a used connect for well under $300. All my speakers are already installed. I really love distributed music, but at $4,000 - not sure I love it that much. I even looked at BlueNote. Its similar to Sonos, but has higher quality music (lossless, etc). Oohhh, so many choices!! When will I make one???
Really comes down to budget and how you want to be able to control the system. You could get the Monoprice 6 zone controller (often on sale for $525) which has an amp built in and comes with the keypads which you could hook up in all rooms via your CAT6 cable. I'm sure the keypads aren't as nice as the Nuvo system, but the setup comes at 1/8th the cost! From there you could grab one of the iOS apps mentioned in this forum (if you can't find them let me know) to be able to control source selection and volume, and still grab a Connect as your main streaming source for your music and online music. You'd have full volume and source selection control with the keypads which is nice.

My strategy was to start small, and figure out what we liked. I had no speakers and didn't even know where my wiring was in the ceilings that were pre wired so I just started with my dining room hooked up to zone 2 on my receiver and coupled it with the 5.1 setup in the nearby living room. Then I added a Chromecast audio to avoid the poor Denon app controls. Then got a new receiver that can pass HDMI sources to zone 2 and supports my new 4K tv. Then I figured out I hated using zone 2 and didn't care for the Chromecast so went with Sonos with the 12ch amp, and then I started busting holes in my ceiling and dropping speakers in like crazy since we liked that setup so much :). Likely I'll end up with 7 zones for WHA (I'm at 4 now), my two 5.1 setups are done, 16 of 21 ceiling speakers are in, two outdoors speakers are waiting to be hung, and 2 in-walls in the garage need wiring and installation (and something to power them). I have a bit more work to do!! Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Final Solution

So, when it came time to pull the trigger, I ended up with the following setup:

3x Yamaha MusicCAST R-N602 Network Audio Receiver
3 pair Polk Audio V65 6" in-wall Speakers (for 3 indoor rooms, 1 pair per room) -- these may have been a little overkill :grin:
1 pair Polk Audio Atrium 6 Outdoor Speakers -- I can definitely annoy the neighbors now...including the ones through the woods and across the stream.

Separate from the audio setup, but seen in the photo (my basement is not finished yet, so this is simply a "get it done, make it pretty later" setup):

1 x QNAP TS-451-US Diskless System 4-Bay Personal Cloud NAS with HDMI output, DLNA, AirPlay and PLEX Support

4x WD BLUE 3TB SATA 5400RPM HDD -- storage for the NAS. With the RAID setup, it comes to 9TB of storage

1 x Intel NUC NUC5i5RYH, USB 3.0, Supports M.2 SSD card / 2.5" HDD Intel HD Graphics 6000, Mini HDMI, Mini DisplayPort

1 x Crucial Ballistix Sport SODIMM 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3L 1600 (PC3L 12800) Laptop Memory Model BLS2K4G3N169ES4

I will be running Kodi (w/Plex on Kodi) as my HTPC OS. I have the HTPC set up, and the NAS is set up. I need to get the files onto the NAS, and point Kodi/Plex at it so it can play movies and music, and set the NAS up as a source for the Yamahas, and then it will be full functional.

I have to say, getting the Yamahas up and running, connected to each other and to the MusicCAST app on the iPad and my Android phone was a breeze. No hitches, no failures. The other two amps even pulled my Pandora account info automatically from the first one. It all works great.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Really comes down to budget and how you want to be able to control the system. You could get the Monoprice 6 zone controller (often on sale for $525) which has an amp built in and comes with the keypads which you could hook up in all rooms via your CAT6 cable. I'm sure the keypads aren't as nice as the Nuvo system, but the setup comes at 1/8th the cost! From there you could grab one of the iOS apps mentioned in this forum (if you can't find them let me know) to be able to control source selection and volume, and still grab a Connect as your main streaming source for your music and online music. You'd have full volume and source selection control with the keypads which is nice.

My strategy was to start small, and figure out what we liked. I had no speakers and didn't even know where my wiring was in the ceilings that were pre wired so I just started with my dining room hooked up to zone 2 on my receiver and coupled it with the 5.1 setup in the nearby living room. Then I added a Chromecast audio to avoid the poor Denon app controls. Then got a new receiver that can pass HDMI sources to zone 2 and supports my new 4K tv. Then I figured out I hated using zone 2 and didn't care for the Chromecast so went with Sonos with the 12ch amp, and then I started busting holes in my ceiling and dropping speakers in like crazy since we liked that setup so much :). Likely I'll end up with 7 zones for WHA (I'm at 4 now), my two 5.1 setups are done, 16 of 21 ceiling speakers are in, two outdoors speakers are waiting to be hung, and 2 in-walls in the garage need wiring and installation (and something to power them). I have a bit more work to do!! Good luck.

@Dre325 So you only have the Sonos as an input into your amp? What if you wanted to listen to a live radio station off of the tuner of your stereo or do you also have that configured to do so?
I currently use zone 2 off of my Denon going to a switch box that feed 3 pairs of speakers and I switch manually to whichever ones (also have wall volume controls) I want to listen to but I am intrigued by your setup here.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes, I just have the Sonos feeding into my WHA amp. To your question about live radio, I'd simply browse to the local stations from TuneIn radio in the Sonos app or search for the channel I want and it's playing right away. However, I also have my AVR zone 2 line-out feeding into the Sonos line in, so can play any source from my AVR on my WHA system. It requires turning that system on and selecting the right input for zone 2 (usually just set to TV), but it's fully functional--just not as easy as turning the Sonos stream on and getting music out of the speakers because the amp turns on automatically.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts