AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i'm so glad to find this forum and this is my first post. Please forgive me for any inconvenience.

I just bought a home with existing in-wall speakers setup.

Living room:
  • 2 x Jamo 660CS (front speakers)
  • 2 x Jamo 6.5 CS (back speakers)
Note: i think they took the center speaker and subwoofer away

Porch:
- 2 speakers but I don't know the model, maybe Jamo or SpeakerCraft, 6 inch each

Sun room:
- 2 x Jamo I/O 3A

I would like to find the right receiver and additional speakers (for the living room surround setup 5/5.1) for the above.
My wish is to:
  • Able to Alexa control to play music, Airplay 2, Spotify, Amazon Music
  • Porch and Sun room play the same music
  • Surround Sound for Living room
  • Can play music in all speakers (Living room, Porch and Sun room)

My findings are constrained by my limited knowledge about audio system and budget.
Onkyo NR 696 or Yamaha TSR 700 has what I need and I plan to combine Porch and Sun room speakers by connecting them together (serial or parallel) in zone 2. However, I don't feel so confidence to do it as I may mess up ohms and power.

My questions are:
1. How can I safely combine Porch and Sun room speakers?
2. What are other setup that can fulfill my wish list above? My budget is ~$500

Thanks for your attention to my lengthy post. And looking forward to hearing from your expert advice.

Artemis

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Is there space for an in-wall center speaker, or will it be free-standing? Same question for a subwoofer. I'm assuming that these are not factored into the budget.

Explicitly, will the Porch and Subwoofer always play the same audio content as if they're a single zone?
If so, you can get close to your budget with a 7 channel AVR with Airplay and a wireless ecosystem with Zone 2 capabilities such as the Onkyo and Yamaha, or others:
It will drive the 5.1 system in the living room, and if the Sunroom and Porch will always play the same music, you should be able to safely wire their speakers in series, and use the Zone2 speaker terminals on the AVR to drive them.

Costco has the Yamaha TSR-700 and Denon AVR-S750H below your budget. If you decide to use an amp for the Porch and Sunroom, the Yamaha may be a better choice to get preouts.
Use an amp like the OSD XMP100, or Russound P75, or AudioSource AMP100VS (all very similar designs with 2 pairs of speaker terminals) and connect it to the preouts. This will take you a little bit over budget.

I just bought a home with existing in-wall speakers setup.
My questions are:
1. How can I safely combine Porch and Sun room speakers?
2. What are other setup that can fulfill my wish list above? My budget is ~$500

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
the costco yamaha TSr-700 has zone 2 preouts - better for long term.

however, both will drive 2 zone with on board amps. both have a wireless ecosystem where you can add the 3rd zone right at your target budget ( the pre-amp/amp combo from each ecosystem cost the same: 499)

adding a Center and sub will impact your budget. All in all, spend the 500 on your center/sub. just get a simple speaker selector box ( can be had <50) to run your two other zones. add the second pre-amp/amp at a later date.

pull down the demo apps for Musicast(Yamaha) and HOES(Denon) to see which you like better.

good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks @philpoe and @smithsabom for your response.

Is there space for an in-wall center speaker, or will it be free-standing?
It will be free-standing, same for subwoofer.

will the Porch and Subwoofer always play the same audio content as if they're a single zone?
I guess Subwoofer goes with the Zone1 and Porch + Sun room go in Zone2. As they are zoned, I believe it can be controlled to play independently or same time. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Yamaha TSR 700 seems to be a good start. I do like the ability to add the second amp powering Porch + Sun room that connects to Zone 2 in the future.

I understand that the receiver will drive all the speakers and I am not very particular about sound output but just wondering if the volume would be audible enough when both zones are playing?

For the subwoofer, I am wondering if this can be optional (future investment)?

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
It sounds like the Porch and Sun room are a combined zone, so you could use the speaker terminals to combine the 4 speakers into 2 pairs wired in series.
(Porch Left in series with SR Left, Porch Right in series with SR Right).
That will raise the impedance to be "safe" for current draw. It won't be potentially as loud as a single pair, but should be fine. If not, the TSR-700 would let you add an amp later if necessary.

The Living room and SunPorch are 2 separate zones, but with 1 receiver, there are some limitations on what you can play in each. Specifically, there's only 1 of each bluetooth/Airplay/MusicCast receiver. Each can play in Zone 1 or Zone 2, or both together, but you can't have 2 separate uses in each zone without adding additional hardware, but that doesn't sound like a scenario you need to address.

Considering the price of the TSR-700, you could take the remainder of your budget to get a decent center or a sub, but either would likely take you a little over budget.
OTOH, the in-wall speakers you have are at the low(est)-end of performance. The front L/R frequency response only goes down to 75Hz, and power handling is only 25W RMS, 50W peak. You may want to consider replacing them.
Something like a closeout Polk IW65 or MTX ADZ502W at accessories4less would perform better, and you may have room to install a 3rd as a center.
Even Monoprice in-wall speakers have much better specs for very low prices.
If not, the Monoprice MP-C65T or Dayton Audio C452 or C452-AIR are very inexpensive options to add to what you already have.

The cheapest subs with any performance (probably the Dayton Audio SUB-1200) is at least $150, so it would take you a little over budget, but that's probably the best option at that price point. It may not actually be big enough for the living room, but that depends on how big the total open area of the living room and adjacent spaces are.
You'll definitely want something to help with the bottom end of those in-wall speakers as they are now.

It will be free-standing, same for subwoofer.
I guess Subwoofer goes with the Zone1 and Porch + Sun room go in Zone2. As they are zoned, I believe it can be controlled to play independently or same time. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.
I understand that the receiver will drive all the speakers and I am not very particular about sound output but just wondering if the volume would be audible enough when both zones are playing?
For the subwoofer, I am wondering if this can be optional (future investment)?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts