AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I'm putting together a HT system, it's ok to use different brand of surround speakers and subwoofer as long as the L/C/R speakers are from the same brand right?

·
Registered
392 Posts
A different brand of sub will make no difference. Actually, depending on the speakers you choose/have, a different brand sub will probably sound better than one from the maker of your speakers.

Many will try to match the surround speakers to the L/C/R to get a timbre match. They don't have to be the exact same speaker, but at least in the same family with a similar tweeter.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Same series in the same brand will often get you similar specs. Lets take Polk for example, if you go with something in their RTi line for L/C/R then I wouldn't suggest putting something from their Monitor line in the back.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i had picked up 2 ProMonitor 1000 and a ProCenter 2000 from Definitive for my L/C/R speakers. I was gonna pick up a pair of ProMonitor 800 for surround speakers but i saw this on cambridge's website( http://cambridgesoundworks.com/store...&item=c1s305zz ) for $150 i can't resist but to pick it up. Do you think it will match the definitive? Some people say matching surround is less critical, hope everything will workout fine

·
Registered
505 Posts
It depends what you use your system for. For watching movies and gaming, it's not that big of a deal. But, if you play multi-channel music (SACD, DVD-A) or watch concert DVDs, where much more audio info is shared with the surrounds, then, yes, the surrounds need to be timbre matched.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEarz /forum/post/15505357

It depends what you use your system for. For watching movies and gaming, it's not that big of a deal. But, if you play multi-channel music (SACD, DVD-A) or watch concert DVDs, where much more audio info is shared with the surrounds, then, yes, the surrounds need to be timbre matched.

Guess i'm good then because i'll be using it for movies and games 99% of the time

1 - 7 of 7 Posts