AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a Denon DVD player but I was looking at the 2200 and 2900, but I've found something worrying on the "British forum", and I'd like to confirm it, because it'd be a major dealbreaker for me.

The problem is as follows:

If you go to Audio Setup and select "Multichannel", then what you get on the stereo L+R outputs is the left and right channels of the multichannel track (ie, virtually no dialogue). You must select "2-channel", right? So, if you connect the 2900 to your receiver with the 6-ch connectors to play DVD-Audio and SACD, you have to select "Multichannel" again. That's not exactly user-friendly.

My Philips 963SA does that downmix always, regardless of the audio setup, as it should.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imagine my wife wants to play a DVD without turning on the audio gear, just the telly. Audio setup must be set to 2-channel, or else she wouldn't hear the dialogue on the TV's speakers.

Now, if I want to play a multichannel DVD-A with my multichannel audio equipment, I must reset it to multichannel, mustn't I? AND when I finish, before turning everything off, I must remember setting it back to 2-channel just in case my SO wants to play another DVD in my absence.

Clearer?

·
Registered
74 Posts
OK, If you don't mind the center mixed into the front channels you can set the 2900 for multichannel but without the center, this will downmix the centerchannel into the 2 frontchannels.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

I still think it's a design mistake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.